|Municipally owned corporation|
|Industry||Electric, Water, Wastewater Utilities, Traffic Engineering, ITS|
|Stuart Lee - President & CEO|
|Owner||City of Edmonton|
Number of employees
EPCOR Utilities Inc., formerly known as Aqualta and Eltec, is a utility company based in Edmonton, Alberta, which manages numerous municipal water and wastewater treatment facilities throughout Alberta and British Columbia. In addition, EPCOR Utilities distributes electricity and installs, maintains and provides engineering support for traffic signals and street lights within the City of Edmonton, as well as other cities in Alberta. EPCOR also services communities in Ontario, and the American states of Arizona and New Mexico.
Created in 1996, the company history dates back to Edmonton Electric Lighting and Power Company formed in 1891. The name EPCOR was introduced in 2001. The City of Edmonton is EPCOR's sole shareholder. EPCOR's name is derived from Edmonton Power Corporation as authorized under City of Edmonton Bylaw 11071.
EPCOR previously owned five power generating facilities within the province of Alberta. The decision was made on April 17, 2009 to divest of power producing assets through the creation of a publicly traded company; Capital Power Corporation. EPCOR Power LP, a limited partnership with EPCOR Utilities Inc., was transferred to Capital Power Corporation and renamed Capital Power Income L.P..
In October 2008, EPCOR was named one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc., and was featured in Maclean's newsmagazine. Later that month, EPCOR was named one of Alberta's Top Employers, which was announced by the Calgary Herald and the Edmonton Journal. EPCOR was also named one of Canada's Top 10 Earth Friendly Employers in 2008.
- "EPCOR :: Leadership Team".
- "Top Employer Epcor". Eluta Canada. Mediacorp Canada Inc. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Being a By-law to establish Edmonton Power Corporation" (PDF).
- "Calgary Herald, "Alberta's top 40 places to work", October 18, 2008". Archived from the original on 2015-10-15.
- "Edmonton Journal, "Alberta's best focus on attracting, keeping staff", October 31, 2008". Archived from the original on 2009-02-05.
- "Reasons for Selection, 2009 Canada's Top 100 Employers Competition".
- "EPCOR :: Chaparral Water Acquisition Complete". Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "EPCOR :: EPCOR Acquiring AZ, NM Water Businesses". Retrieved 2015-05-23.
|This article about a company or corporation involved in the energy industry is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Canadian corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|