Ectokid #1 (Sept. 1993). Cover art by Steve Skroce
|Publisher||Razorline (Marvel Comics)|
|Publication date||September 1993 - May 1994|
|Number of issues||9|
Ectokid is a fantasy comic book series published by Marvel Comics' Razorline imprint that ran from 1993 to 1994. Created by filmmaker and horror/fantasy novelist Clive Barker as one of the imprint's four interconnected series, it starred teenaged Dexter Mungo, the child of a mortal and a ghost, who is able to see and interact with the dangerous, interdimensional Ectosphere.
Ectokid ran nine issues (Sept. 1993 - May 1994) before being discontinued with the rest of the Razorline titles. All art was by penciller Steve Skroce and inker Bob Dvorak. The writing was split between James Robinson (issues #1-3) and Lana Wachowski (issues #3-9), future co-creator of The Matrix film trilogy. Although uncredited, Wachowski's sister and filmmaking partner Lilly Wachowski co-wrote with her.
The final Razorline release was the subsequent one-shot Ektokid Unleashed (Oct. 1994), written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, with artwork by penciler Hector Gomez and inker John Strangeland. It included a prose short story by Elaine Lee starring another Razorline character, Saint Sinner.
Fictional character biography
Ectokid is centered on 14-year-old Dexter Mungo, whose father was a ghost. Dex, as he is called, sees the world as it normally is through his right eye, but through his left he can see into the Ectosphere, a dimension similar to Earth but with a number of crucial differences. All the regular-Earth buildings are in the same places, but have a crusted and coral-covered appearance, and this world is populated by creatures and races out of myths, legends and nightmares.
As Barker described, "Ectokid, which is perhaps the second weirdest of the bunch, is a kind of dream story for the 15-year-old that's still alive to me — the tale of an adolescent who lives in two worlds and has access to a whole other sphere of reality".
- Ectokid at the Grand Comics Database
- Ojumu, Akin (May 18, 2003). "Brothers Grim". The Guardian. UK. Archived from the original on December 31, 2010.
- Ectokid Unleashed #1 at The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators. ("Features" link) Archived from the original on October 23, 2015.
- Hyperkind Unleashed #1 at the Grand Comics Database.
- Barker, Clive, in Russo, Tom (July 1993). "Razorline". Marvel Age (126). Quote excerpted in "Interviews, Part Two". Clive Barker (official site). Archived from the original on June 28, 2010.
- Ectokid at the Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators. Archived from the original on October 23, 2015.
- 'Ectokid' at the Comic Book DB
- Ectokid at An International Catalogue of Superheroes. Archived from the original on October 23, 2015.
- Ectokid at CliveBarker.com (unofficial site). Archived from the original on October 23, 2015.