Eliana Pintor Marin
Eliana Pintor Marin
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly|
from the 29th district
|Assumed office |
November 18, 2013
Serving with Shanique Speight
|Preceded by||Alberto Coutinho|
|Born||October 23, 1980|
Newark, New Jersey
|Residence||Newark, New Jersey|
|Website||Legislative web page|
Eliana Pintor Marin (born October 23, 1980) is an American Democratic Party politician, who represents the 29th Legislative District in the New Jersey General Assembly, having been named to the seat on September 11, 2013 to fill the vacant seat of Alberto Coutinho following his resignation.
Pintor Marin was born in Newark, New Jersey on October 23, 1980 and was raised in its East Ward. After graduating from Mother Seton Regional High School she earned a bachelor's and master's degree from St. John's University in legal studies and government / politics respectively, before working for an investment banking firm. She is employed as the Division Manager of Passports and Vault Recording in the office of the Essex County Clerk and has served as a member of the Advisory Board to the Newark Public Schools.
She is the daughter of first generation Portuguese factory workers and is the first in her family to graduate from college. In addition to her professional and legislative work, she is a member of the Newark Portuguese Sports Club and the Director of the Portuguese School. She resides in the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark with her husband Anthony and daughters Amelia and Aveline.
Coutinho resigned from office as of September 11, 2013, amid an investigation into a charity that had been established by his father. A special convention of 200 Essex County Democratic Committee members chose Pintor Marin to fill his vacant seat in the Assembly and to take his ballot position for the November 2013 general election.
Pintor Marin won election in November 2013 to serve the balance of the two years on Coutinho's seat and was sworn into office on November 18, 2013. She is Vice Chair of the Commerce and Economic Development Committee, and serves on the Budget Committee and Telecommunications and Utilities Committee.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 29th District for the 2014-2015 Legislative Session (Senate and General Assembly) are:
- Assemblywoman Eliana Pintor Marin, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 4, 2014.
- "Ms. Eliana Pintor Marin, Advisory Board". Newark Public Schools. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- "2013 Essex County Portuguese Heritage Celebration a success". Independent Press (via NJ.com). August 1, 2013. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Giambusso, David. "Eliana Pintor Marin will replace Essex Assemblyman Coutinho", The Star-Ledger, September 11, 2013. Accessed October 3, 2013. "Hours after state Assemblyman Al Coutinho (D-Essex) tendered his resignation today, party leaders gathered in Newark's ornate Mediterranean Manor to vote for his replacement, Eliana Pintor Marin.... Coutinho stepped down abruptly today amid an investigation into a family foundation started by his father Bernardino Coutinho. Pintor Marin will fill out the remainder of his term in the Assembly and will replace him on the ballot in November."
- Friedman, Matt. "Newark gets new assemblywoman", The Star-Ledger, November 18, 2013. Accessed November 18, 2013. "Eliana Pintor Marin, who works in the Essex County Clerk’s office, was sworn in today to the seat left vacant by Assemblyman Al Coutinho's (D-Essex) resignation.... Pintor Marin was selected by Essex County Democrats to fill the remainder of Coutinho’s unexpired term. In November, she was elected to a full two-year term that begins in January."
- Legislative Roster 2014-2015 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 4, 2014.
- District 29 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 4, 2014.
|New Jersey General Assembly|
| Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 29th District
November 18, 2013 – present
With: L. Grace Spencer, Blonnie R. Watson