|Traded as||TSX: EMA|
|Headquarters||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Christopher G. Huskilson (CEO)|
Number of employees
Emera Incorporated is a publicly traded energy and services company with $10.19 billion in assets and 2014 revenues of $2.97 billion. http://www.snl.com/irweblinkx/corporateprofile.aspx?iid=4072693. Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Emera's President and CEO is Christopher G. Huskilson. The company invests in electricity generation, transmission and distribution, and gas transmission and utility energy services. As of September 2015 the Emera group of companies had over 3600 employees.
Emera was created out of the privatization of the provincial Crown corporation Nova Scotia Power Incorporated (NSPI). On December 2, 1998, NSPI shareholders voted to restructure the company to create a holding company which would be shareholder-owned, with the regulated utility being a wholly owned subsidiary of the holding company. On December 9, 1998, NSPI received approval to establish NS Power Holdings Incorporated and NSPI shareholders exchanged their shares in NSPI for shares in NS Power Holdings Inc. on a one-to-one basis on January 1, 1999. Common shares in NS Power Holdings Inc. began trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange and Montreal Stock Exchange on January 6, 1999. The NS Power Holdings Inc. name was changed to Emera Incorporated on July 17, 2000.
On September 4, 2015, Emera announced the acquisition of TECO Energy, a utility company based in Tampa, Florida, whose holdings include Tampa Electric, Peoples Gas (no relation to the Chicago-based company of the same name), and New Mexico Gas. The deal is expected to close by mid-2016.
- Nova Scotia Power
- Emera Maine
- Emera Caribbean
- Emera Energy
- Emera Utility Services
- Emera New Brunswick
- Maritimes and Northeast Pipeline
- Emera Newfoundland and Labrador
- OpenHydro Group Ltd.
- Atlantic Hydrogen Inc.
- Algonquin Power & Utilities
- Tampa Bay Times: "Tampa Electric announces its sale to Canadian company Emera", September 4, 2015.
- Emera - Our Investments. http://www.emera.com/en/home/ourbusiness/corporatestructure/default.aspx. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Emera - News Release Details. http://www.emera.com/en/home/mediacentre/archivedpressreleases/2012/newsreleasedetails.aspx?SourceParams=reqid-1766013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.