Eric Peter Kaufmann
|Born||11 May 1970|
|Alma mater||University of Western Ontario (BA)|
London School of Economics and Political Science (MA, PhD)
|Known for||Whiteshift (2018)|
|Fields||National identity |
|Institutions||School of Politics and Sociology, Birkbeck College, University of London|
Eric Peter Kaufmann (born 11 May 1970) is a Canadian professor of politics at Birkbeck College, University of London. He is a specialist on Orangeism in Northern Ireland, nationalism, political demography and demography of the religious/irreligious.
Background and education
Eric Kaufmann was born in Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. His ancestry is mixed with a quarter Chinese and a quarter Latino. His father is of Jewish descent, the grandfather a secularist hailing from Prostejov in the modern Czech Republic. His mother is a lapsed Catholic; he himself attended Catholic school for only a year. He received his BA from the University of Western Ontario in 1991. He received his MA from the London School of Economics in 1994 where he subsequently also completed his PhD in 1998.
Kaufmann was lecturer in comparative politics at the University of Southampton from 1999 to 2003. He was a fellow at the Belfer Center, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, for 2008–09. Kaufmann joined Birkbeck College, University of London, in 2003. He became professor of politics there in 2011.
- The Rise and Fall of Anglo-America: The Decline of Dominant Ethnicity in the United States. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 2004. ISBN 978-0674013032
- The Orange Order: A Contemporary Northern Irish History. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2007. ISBN 978-0199208487
- Unionism and Orangeism in Northern Ireland Since 1945: The Decline of the Loyal Family with Henry Patterson. Manchester University Press, Manchester, 2007. ISBN 978-0719074967
- Shall the Religious Inherit the Earth?: Demography and Politics in the Twenty-First Century. Profile, 2010. ISBN 978-1846681448
- Whiteshift: Populism, Immigration and the Future of White Majorities. Harry N. Abrams, 2018. ISBN 978-1468316971
- Rethinking Ethnicity: Majority Groups and Dominant Minorities. Routledge, 2004. ISBN 978-0415315425
- Political Demography: How Population Changes Are Reshaping International Security and National Politics with Jack Goldstone and Monica Duffy Toft. Oxford University Press, 2012. ISBN 978-0199949229
- Whither the Child: Causes and Consequences of Low Fertility with W. Bradford Wilcox. Paradigm, 2012. ISBN 978-1612050935
- Nationalism and Conflict Management with Robert Schertzer and Eric Taylor Woods. Routledge, 2012. ISBN 978-0415520454
- "Eric Kaufmann responds to David Aaronovitch's column referencing Kaufmann's recent Policy Exchange report | Policy Exchange". Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- Kaufmann, Eric (6 July 2017). "Is Britain a Post Racial Society?". YouTube. Centre of Pan African Thought. p. 0 min 40 s. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- Kaufmann, Eric (2010). Shall the religious inherit the Earth? : demography and politics in the twenty-first century (2nd print. ed.). London: Profile Books. p. 265. ISBN 978-1-84668-144-8.
- Eric Kaufmann. Birkbeck College. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- Eric Kaufmann personal website
- Eric Kaufman speaking to the New America Foundation about "Shall the Religious Inherit the Earth?"
|This biography of a political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|