Goodwin at Chatham House in 2011
Matthew James Goodwin
17 December 1981
|Alma mater||University of Salford |
University of Western Ontario
University of Bath
|Institutions||University of Kent|
Matthew Goodwin (born 17 December 1981) is a British academic who is currently Professor of Politics in the School of Politics and International Relations at the University of Kent, and Associate Fellow at Chatham House.
Early life and education
He graduated with a First Class BA in Politics and Contemporary History from the University of Salford in 2003 and an MA in political science from the University of Western Ontario in 2004, and completed his PhD under the supervision of Roger Eatwell at the University of Bath in 2007.
Goodwin worked as Associate Professor of Politics at the University of Nottingham from 2010 to 2015, and Research Fellow at the Institute for Political and Economic Governance (IPEG) at the University of Manchester from 2008 to 2010. Since 2015, he has been Professor of Politics at the University of Kent.
He is the co-editor of The New Extremism in 21st Century Britain (Routledge), and co-author (with Roger Eatwell) of National Populism: The Revolt Against Liberal Democracy. He is also the author of New British Fascism: Rise of the British National Party (Routledge) and co-author (with Robert Ford) of Revolt on the Right: Explaining Support for the Radical Right in Britain (Routledge, 2014). His research has appeared in the New Statesman, The Guardian, The Westminster Hour and Prospect magazine.
On 27 May 2017, he predicted that Labour would not reach 38% of the vote in the 2017 general election and he would eat his book if they did. Labour did and, on 10 June, Goodwin ate one page out of his book, live on Sky News.
- "Professor Matthew Goodwin". Chatham House. 2016. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Matthew Goodwin". School of Politics and International Relations, University of Nottingham. Archived from the original on 15 July 2012.
- "The New Extremism in 21st Century Britain". Routledge. 22 February 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- Cowley, Jason (2018-10-21). "Review: National Populism: The Revolt Against Liberal Democracy by Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin — it's not going away any time soon". The Times. Retrieved 2018-11-02.
- Goodwin, Matthew (28 April 2011). "New British Fascism: Rise of the British National Party". Routledge. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "The BNP's breakthrough". New Statesman. London. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- Goodwin, Matthew; Ford, Robert (13 February 2009). "Prejudice is declining, but there is still huge support for the BNP". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "BNP". BBC News. 25 July 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- Goodwin, Matthew (July 2010). "Life after Griffin". Prospect. London. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "Matthew Goodwin on Twitter".
- Media Mole (11 June 2017). "Watch: Politics expert Matthew Goodwin eats his own book on live TV after underestimating Labour". New Statesman. London.
- "Conference highlights 2014". Political Studies Association.
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|