Ewden Bridge, crossing the Ewden Beck
Ewden Village shown within Sheffield
|Metropolitan county||South Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Penistone and Stocksbridge|
Ewden Village is located between the Moor Hall and Broomhead reservoirs, close to and south of Bolsterone,; within the Civil Parish of Stocksbridge. During the early 20th century a timber built village was constructed, to house workers working on the Morehall and Broomhead reservoirs. The village was completed in 1929. By 1969 only 15 of over 70 buildings were occupied, and by the 21st century the village was practically abandoned. By 2008 a single worker's cottage remained from the original navvy village.
Ewden Beck flows from Broomhead Moor, eastwards, supplying the Broomhead reservoir. Excess outfall flows into the River Don. Ewden Height is a local high point in the region at 375 m (1,230 ft).
One the south side of the beck, upstream of the reservoirs and Ewden road bridge are prehistoric earthworks and other remains: there is a Bronze Age cemetery of around 30 round barrows, typically less than 3m diameter and 0.2 to 1 m (7.9 in to 3 ft 3.4 in) high, which are crossed by an earthwork 'Broomhead Dyke', around 1,200 m (3,900 ft) long, running roughly parallel to the beck; there is also a 20 m (66 ft) diameter ring cairn around 100m north of the cemetery.
- "Area: Bradfield CP (Parish)", 2001 Census: Key Statistics, Office for National Statistics
- Ordnance survey. 1:25000. c.2012
- Stocksbridge boundary map  (retrieved 28 August 2015)
- Duffield, Brenda (September 2004), Ewden Village, Stocksbridge & District History Society
- Ewden Valley Area, Stocksbridge & District History Society
- Historic England. "Monument No. 1479914". PastScape. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Historic England. "Ewden Beck round barrow cemetery and cross-dyke (1018590)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Historic England. "Ewden Beck ring-cairn (1010769)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
Media related to Ewden, South Yorkshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This South Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|