Fade into Darkness
|"Fade into Darkness"|
|Single by Avicii|
|Released||16 July 2011|
|Avicii singles chronology|
"Fade into Darkness" is a song by Swedish house producer and DJ Avicii. It features uncredited vocals from Andreas Moe. The single was released on 16 July 2011. The song incorporates elements from "Perpetuum Mobile" by Penguin Cafe Orchestra, as written by Simon Jeffes. Prior to its commercial release, the song was referred to as "Penguin", which was solely an instrumental track, unlike the following lyrical version.
Leona Lewis controversy
When "Fade into Darkness" was referred to as "Penguin", the song received comparisons to Leona Lewis' 2011 song "Collide". The song ("Collide") originally credited Lewis as the only artist on the track, which prompted a lawsuit against Lewis, and her record label Syco, as Avicii claimed that they had sampled "Penguin" without his permission. According to Avicii's manager Ash Pournouri, he thought that Lewis was going to only sample the original "Perpetuum Mobile" by Penguin Cafe Orchestra. In a statement, Pournouri said "We were under the impression that they were going to sample the original. They ended up copying our version. We never allowed Syco to replay our version of the track. The original sample rights belong to Simon Jeffes (Penguin Cafe Orchestra) and approval for using that composition is not in our control." As part of the lawsuit for not receiving credit on "Collide", Avicii attempted to have the release of the song suspended until an agreement was reached.
Prior to the case reaching the high court, Lewis tweeted that Avicii was fully aware of his song being sampled on "Collide", "With regards to my song, Avicii was aware & agreeing publishing splits for himself and his manager. When Avicii sent his track out to have a song written over it I totally fell in love with this version and I think he's super talented." Syco also responded to the claim, stating that Avicii was always going to work with Lewis, and that he would be credited on the song. In response, Avicii accused Lewis and her label of lying about working together, and tweeted "Thanks for accusing me of lying and speaking on my behalf. Since we never met or even spoke, please let me and my manager know who told you that and what confirmation they gave you." Hours before both Lewis's and Avicii's record labels were supposed to appear in the high court, Syco released a statement that both record labels had reached an agreement and that Avicii would appear as a featured artist on "Collide", whilst Lewis would appear as the lead artist. Avicii and his record label were pleased with the result, with the former saying "Glad to FINALLY have resolved situation with Leona. Music is the answer ... We've finally come to an agreement with Leona on all the issues ... So happy to move on and focus on hit making ... So happy to move on with Leona and focus on having a hit together." The latter stated "Avicii is an up-and-coming talent; we think he should be given a fair crack at making this record the hit it deserves to be."
The music video for "Fade into Darkness" was directed by Tobias Hansson and Karl Aulin, starring Linn Asplund and Jim Cargill. The video portrays a female assassin who fell for her target. To protect him, she left him a note that said not to look for her. But he did and when he finds her she eventually kills him.
- Digital EP
- "Fade into Darkness" (Vocal Radio Mix) – 3:18
- "Fade into Darkness" (Vocal Club Mix) – 6:09
- "Fade into Darkness" (Instrumental Radio Mix) – 2:58
- "Fade into Darkness" (Instrumental Club Mix) – 5:48
Credits and personnel
- Tim Bergling – songwriter, producer
- Arash Pournouri – songwriter, producer
- Simon Jeffes – songwriter
- John Martin – songwriter
- Michel Zitron – songwriter
- Måns Wredenberg – songwriter
- Dipesh Parmar – arrangement
- Andreas Moe – lead vocals
- Richard Adlam – backing vocals
- Sam Blue – backing vocals
- Simon Chapman – backing vocals
- Hal Ritson – vocal producer, backing vocals
- Wez Clarke – mixing, additional programming
Credits adapted from liner notes.
Charts and certifications
|Australia||16 July 2011||Digital download||LE7ELS|
|Sweden||22 July 2011||Universal Music|
- Quentin (2011-01-30), Avicii-Penguin played by Tiesto @Tiesto Club Life 200, retrieved 2018-05-05
- "Tiësto's Club Life 200 - Tiësto Blog". Tiësto Blog. 2011-01-29. Retrieved 2018-05-05.
- "Leona Lewis backs down over new single Collide". BBC Music. BBC. 16 August 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Halliday, Josh (16 August 2011). "Leona Lewis resolves legal dispute with Swedish DJ over new single". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Holden, Steve (16 August 2011). "Leona Lewis' label denies copying Avicii dance track". BBC Music. BBC. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Swedish DJ Tim Berg is fighting to stop the release of her single, Collide". MTV UK. Viacom. 7 August 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Leona Lewis resolves dispute with DJ Avicii over new single". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. 17 August 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Fade Into Darkness - EP". iTunes.
- Fade Into Darkness (digital download). Avicii. LE7ELS. 2011. L7L001-1.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Avicii" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Top 50 Polish Dance Chart". Polish Music Charts (in Polish). ZPAV. 2011-11-01. Retrieved 2011-11-18.[permanent dead link]
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay New. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Official Rumania chart". Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Avicii – Fade Into Darkness". Singles Top 100.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201152 into search.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company.
- "Årslista Singlar – År 2011" (in Swedish). Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 2019-10-08.
- "Avicii, Fade Into Darkness - Certifikat" (in Swedish). Sverigetopplistan.se. Archived from the original (Enter Fade Into Darkness in the Sök bar, then click on the Visa button below the single's respective icon) on December 26, 2015. Retrieved September 8, 2014.