Fife Lake Township, Michigan
|Fife Lake Township, Michigan|
Fife Lake Michigan
|• Supervisor||Fred Joles|
|• Total||35.9 sq mi (93.1 km2)|
|• Land||34.4 sq mi (89.1 km2)|
|• Water||1.6 sq mi (4.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,073 ft (327 m)|
|• Density||44.1/sq mi (17.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626281|
Fife Lake Township is a civil township of Grand Traverse County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 2,791, a significant increase from 1,517 at the 2000 census.
- The Village of Fife Lake is within the township at the junction of U.S. Route 131 and M-186.
- Walton is an unincorporated community in the township near the junction of US 131 and M-113 at . Walton Junction is a place just north of the community, named for the junction of two railroad lines, and is now at the junction of US 131 and M-113.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.0 square miles (93 km2), of which 34.4 square miles (89 km2) is land and 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2) (4.34%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,517 people, 562 households, and 397 families residing in the township. The population density was 44.1 per square mile (17.0/km²). There were 779 housing units at an average density of 22.7 per square mile (8.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 90.44% White, 4.88% African American, 1.71% Native American, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 2.64% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.92% of the population.
There were 562 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.9% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.2% were non-families. 23.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 33.9% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 118.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 124.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,667, and the median income for a family was $42,813. Males had a median income of $28,977 versus $21,736 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,739. About 6.5% of families and 8.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.8% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Fife Lake Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Walton, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Walton Junction, Michigan