Five Guns West
|Five Guns West|
|Directed by||Roger Corman|
|Produced by||Roger Corman|
|Written by||R. Wright Campbell|
|Distributed by||American Releasing Corporation|
|Box office||554,911 admissions (France)|
Five Guns West is a 1955 Western film set during the American Civil War directed by Roger Corman. It was Corman's first film as director although he had already made three as producer. It was the second of two films he made for the American Releasing Company, which later became American International Pictures.
Five men, due to be hanged, accept a pardon to join the Confederate army due to the army being desperate for men during the last days of the American Civil War. Their tasks is to go after a traitor and a shipment of stolen gold. They end up taking a woman, Shalee Jethro, captive and begin fighting over her, before one of the men, Govern Sturges, intervenes on her behalf.
- John Lund as Govern Sturges
- Dorothy Malone as Shalee Jethro
- Mike Connors as Hale Clinton (billed as Touch Connors)
- R. Wright Campbell as John Candy
- Jonathan Haze as Billy Candy
- Paul Birch as J.C. Haggard
- James Stone as Uncle Mike
- Jack Ingram as Stephan Jethro
- Larry Thor as Confederate Captain
This movie was Dorothy Malone's first film following the death of her younger brother.
Corman served as producer and director to save money. R. Wright Campbell acted in addition to the screenplay duties. This marked the first time Corman worked with long time collaborator Floyd Crosby.
DVD Savant found "The movie is less interesting for its quality than its place in the development of independent production. " TV Guide gave the movie 2 out of 5 stars, finding it similar to other westerns of the time. Variety found the movie acceptable for smaller venues,but found it to have too much talking and not enough action
- Of Local Origin New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 09 Nov 1954: 30.
- Samuel Z Arkoff & Richard Turbo, Flying Through Hollywood By the Seat of My Pants, Birch Lane Press, 1992 p 35
- Box office information for Roger Corman films in France at Box Office Story
- SIRK WILL DIRECT UNIVERSAL MOVIE: Lot Again Signs Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson to Co-Star in 'All That Heaven Allows' By THOMAS M. PRYOR Special to The New York Times.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 28 Oct 1954: 47.
- FIVE GUNS WEST Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 22, Iss. 252, (Jan 1, 1955): 152.
- Whole Town's Talking About F.S. The Washington Post and Times Herald (1954-1959) [Washington, D.C] 15 Nov 1954: 22.
- Mark McGee, Faster and Furiouser: The Revised and Fattened Fable of American International Pictures, McFarland, 1996 p22
- Frank (1996) The Films of Roger Corman
- Roger Corman & Jim Jerome, How I Made a Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never lost a Dime, Muller, 1990 p 27
- Gary Smith, American International Pictures: The Golden Years, Bear Manor Media 2014 p 18
- Obituary: Robert Campbell Vosburgh, Dick. The Independent 04 Oct 2000: 6.
- "DVD Savant Review: Five Guns West". www.dvdtalk.com.
- "Five Guns West - TV Guide". TVGuide.com.
- "five guns west review - Yahoo Video Search Results". video.search.yahoo.com.