Fletcher's Meadow Secondary School
|Fletcher's Meadow Secondary School|
|10750 Chinguacousy Road
Brampton, Ontario, L7A 2Z7
|School type||State high school|
|School board||Peel District School Board|
|Area trustee||Steve Kavanagh|
|Enrollment||1450 (September 2014)|
|Colour(s)||Black and teal|
Despite the school's recent construction, its population is growing at a rate faster than the supportable growth rate. For the 2010 and 2011 school year the boundary for the school changed, thus dropping the student population by 300 students to a more manageable population of 1700 students.
Each year, Fletcher's showcases on a play, musical or variety show. These shows are presented by the Arts Department and have been viewed by such socialites as Angelina Jolie.
- 2007: Fame - musical
- 2008: iBelieve - showcase of talent
- 2009: Stop the Violence - showcase of arts
- 2010: 12 Angry Jurors - adaptation of the movie 12 Angry Men
- 2011: 7 Stories - play written by Morris Panych
- 2013: ZAP - play by Paul Fleischman
- 2014: iRemember - original play/musical celebrating the ten year anniversary of the school
- 2015: The Laramie Project - play by Moisés Kaufman
- 2016: Fletcher's Winter Talent Showcase - talent show
Fletcher's Meadow Secondary School participates in the annual FIRST Competitions. They started a team in 2011 and have been active since then.
In 2012, the team participated in two competitions: GTR East at Oshawa and GTR West at Hershey Centre.
Awards won by Team 3705:
- 2011 - GTR West Animation Award
- 2012 - Safety Animation Award (globally won by 3705)
- 2012 - GTR West - placed 11th in qualification rounds and had the second best record of 8-2-0
Apart from FIRST, students also participate in the Skills Canada Challenges:
Robotics Team of 4:
- 2011 - Silver Medal at Peel Technological Skills Challenge
- 2012 - Gold Medal at Peel Technological Skills Challenge
Virtual Robotics Team of 2:
- 2011 - Gold Medal at Peel Technological Skills Challenge
- 2011 - Silver Medal at Ontario Skills Challenge
- 2012 - Silver Medal at Peel Technological Skills Challenge
The school offers sports including track and field, volleyball, baseball, soccer, football, badminton and tennis. These sport teams compete in many tournaments throughout Ontario.
The Global Youth Issues Club is a very active club at F-Block and hosts events like a cake auction, vow of silence, and Halloween for Hunger during the school year. They are a Free the Children's club that promotes awareness about global issues/causes to youth.
Each year the school hosts an intra-school competition known as the Science Olympics. In it large teams complete a variety of science related challenges that promote teamwork, collaboration, and critical thinking. Teams are composed of students in grades 9-12 and choose their own mascot, name and logo. In the end, the team with the fastest completion time wins. The competition is hosted by the school's science department.
The school also hosts an intra-school competition known as DECA Apprentice. In it, small teams compete in a variety of different challenges that emulate those of the business world, such as pitching an idea, budgeting, teamwork and collaboration. The competition is a blend of the DECA case competition and NBC's reality show The Apprentice. Teams are given a time-frame in order to complete a task and are graded on the quality of their work. In the end, the team with the highest total score wins a prize, and there are two runners-up.
The school recently formed a jazz combo, consisting of eight senior members. As a Fletcher's first, both the Jazz Combo and the school's Concert Band, a large group of music students of all ages, competed in MusicFest 2016, a national music competition across Canada. The groups earned silver and bronze awards, respectively.