Frederick Frank Jarvis CBE (born 8 September 1924) is a retired British trade union leader. He was President of the National Union of Students (NUS) from 1952 to 1954 and General Secretary of the National Union of Teachers (NUT) from 1975 to 1989. Jarvis served as President of the Trades Union Congress in 1987, the first Oxford graduate to hold that position.
As a child Jarvis attended Plaistow Secondary School in what was then the County Borough of West Ham in Essex. He went to University of Liverpool for a Diploma in Social Sciences, and obtained a BA (Hons) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics at St Catherine's College, Oxford. He married Anne Colegrove, herself a vice-president of the NUS, in 1954.
In 2014 he published his autobiography You Never Know Your Luck.
Fred and Anne Jarvis Award
Named after Jarvis and his late wife, the Fred and Anne Jarvis Award was established in 2007 and is presented annually by the NUT to individuals other than NUT members who have campaigned tirelessly for all children and young people.
For a list of winners of the Fred and Anne Jarvis Award see List of Fred and Anne Jarvis Award winners.
- "Find out who the 55th NUS President will be live". National Union of Students. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "NUT History - NUT General Secretaries". NUT. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Section 4, Details of past Congresses" (PDF). Trades Union Congress. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Obituary: Anne Jarvis". Guardian News and Media Limited. 2 May 2007. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Spirit is still flourishing". TSL Education Ltd. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "NewVic students meet former teachers’ leader and Plaistow pupil". Newham Sixth Form College. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Former general secretary of the NUT Fred Jarvis holds exhibition at TUC". Newsquest (London) Ltd. 26 March 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2014.
- 2015 New Year Honours List
- "Memorial for Anne Jarvis at the Institute of Education" (PDF). Education Publishing Worldwide Limited. 21 September 2007. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- Biography, Who's Who
|Trade union offices|
John M. Thompson
|President of the National Union of Students
Frank H. Copplestone
Sir Edward Britton
|General Secretary of the National Union of Teachers
|President of the Trades Union Congress