|Area(s)||Artist, Writer, Animator|
|Overland Vegetable Stagecoach|
Fred Schrier is an artist, writer, and animator, best known as partner to the underground comic book artist Dave Sheridan. Together, using the name Overland Vegetable Stagecoach, they worked on Meef Comix, three issues of Mother's Oats Funnies, Skull Comics #1 (with Greg Irons, Jack Jackson and Rory Hayes), and The Balloon Vendor, which were all published by underground comics pioneers San Francisco Comic Book Company and Rip Off Press.
He and Sheridan were also featured in Slow Death Funnies #1 (with J. Osborne and Gilbert Shelton), published by Last Gasp, and Yellow Dog #19, published in 1971 by The Print Mint. Sheridan died of cancer at the age of 38 in 1982. An obituary by Schrier was published in the ACE periodical Changeling Times, decorated with their artwork.
Schrier has also been an illustrator of children's books such as Let's Jump! by Donna Lugg Pape, Wild Animals, Come Out! (Read Alone Books), and Amazing Science Tricks (Boys' Life Magazine April 2004), and has been the animator for the Cleveland Indians Stadium scoreboard, winning him a "thanks" credit in the 1994 motion picture Major League II.
Overland Vegetable Stagecoach
- Mother's Oats Comix No. 1 – San Francisco Comic Book Company/Rip Off Press 1969
- Mother's Oats Comix No. 2 – San Francisco Comic Book Company/Rip Off Press 1970
- Skull Comics No. 1 (with Greg Irons, Jack Jackson and Rory Hayes) – San Francisco Comic Book Company/Rip Off Press 1970
- The Balloon Vendor – San Francisco Comic Book Company/Rip Off Press 1971
- Meef Comix No. 1 – San Francisco Comic Book Company/Rip Off Press 1972
- Meef Comix No. 2 – San Francisco Comic Book Company/Rip Off Press 1973
- Tales of the Leather Nun No. 1 – Last Gasp Eco Funnies, 1973
- Mindwarp: An Anthology by Sheridan & Schrier – And/Or Press, 1975
- Mother's Oats Comix No. 3 – San Francisco Comic Book Company/Rip Off Press 1976
Other comic books
- Slow Death Funnies #1 (with Dave Sheridan, J. Osborne and Gilbert Shelton) – Last Gasp 1970
- Hydrogen Bomb and Biochemical Warfare Funnies – Rip Off Press 1970
- Silent Majority Comix – Rip Off Press 1970
- Yellow Dog #19 – Print Mint 1971
- Rip-Off Review of Western Culture – Rip Off Press 1972
- Uncle Sam Takes LSD – Rip Off Press 1972
- Rip-Off Comix #3 – Rip Off Press 1976.
Children's books & stories
- Let's Jump! by Donna Lugg Pape
- Wild Animals, Come Out! – Read Alone Books
- Amazing Science Tricks – Boy's Life Magazine, April 2004
- The Underground Comix Family Album by Malcolm Whyte (with photographs by Clay Geerdes and foreword by Will Eisner) Word Play Publications, 1998.
- Notes from the Underground by Jay Kinney (1986)