Frogn within Akershus
|• Mayor (2015)||Odd Haktor Slåke (H)|
|• Total||86 km2 (33 sq mi)|
|• Land||85 km2 (33 sq mi)|
|Area rank||395 in Norway|
|• Rank||81 in Norway|
|• Density||155/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||21.1 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0215|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
Frogn is a municipality in Akershus county, Norway. It is part of the Follo traditional region. The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Drøbak. Frogn was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). The city of Drøbak was merged with Frogn on 1 January 1962.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Frogn farm (Old Norse: Fraun), since the first church was built here. The name must be very old and the meaning is unknown. One theory is that it is derived from the Norse word frauđ which means "manure" and the meaning would then be "the fertilized field". (See also Frogner and Tøyen.)
Prior to 1889, the name was written "Fron". Between 1837 and 1865, the name of the municipality was Drøbak landdistrikt.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 20 May 1988. The arms symbolize the Oscarsborg Fortress in silver on a blue background. The fortress is on the Drøbaksund in the Oslofjord in the municipality. The fortress was built in the late 19th century and played a major role in the defence of Norway in the beginning of World War II.
Twin towns — Sister cities
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Henriksen, Petter, ed. (2007). "Drøbak landdistrikt". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 16 October 2009.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- "Immigrants and Norwegian-born to immigrant parents, by immigration category, country background and percentages of the population". ssb.no. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Vennskapskommuner" (in Norwegian). Frogn municipality. Archived from the original on July 13, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-18.