Abdullahi Yusuf Airport
Abdullahi Yusuf Airport
Garoonka Diyaaradaha ee Cabdillahi Yuusuf
مطار عبد الله يوسف
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Owner||Government of Puntland|
|Elevation AMSL||975 ft / 297 m|
Like most of Galkayo, the Abdullahi Yusuf Airport is administered by the autonomous Puntland government. It has acted as a buffer zone between the divided city's two main divisions. Taxes collected by the airport authority are split equally between the Puntland and Galmudug administrations, facilitating relations between the two regional authorities.
Airlines and destinations
|African Express Airways||Berbera, Bosaso, Mogadishu, Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta, Wajir|
|Jubba Airways||Garowe, Mogadishu|
Accidents and incidents
|Date||Location||Aircraft||Tail number||Aircraft damage||Fatalities||Description||Refs|
|28 April 2012||Galkayo||GR-Avia Antonov||3X-GEB||W/O||0/36||A Jubba Airways aircraft on flight 6J-711 from Hargeisa to Galkayo veered right off runway 05L while landing in clear weather conditions. Captain indicated that his flight crew overflew so as to avoid collision with a goat or dog that had wandered onto the runway. The 32 passengers and 4 crew were not injured. However, the plane incurred significant damage.|||
On 2 October 2017 the airport's chief of security, Colonel Abdisalan Sanyare Owke and his bodyguard, were shot dead by a policeman. The assailant’s motive was not immediately clear.
- Galcaio (GLK) Somalia Archived 19 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Accident: GR-Avia AN24 at Galkayo on Apr 28th 2012, burst tyres, veered off runway and broke up". The Aviation Herald.
- Somalia: Puntland businessman elected new Galkayo mayor Archived 3 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Africa Review - Galkayo: A peaceful island in Somalia". 20 July 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "Somalia: Col. Abdullahi Yusuf Laid to Rest". Garowe Online (Garowe). 26 March 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- Accident: GR-Avia AN24 at Galkayo on Apr 28th 2012, burst tyres, veered off runway and broke up, The Aviation Herald, retrieved on 28 May 2012.
- Police chief at airport in Somalia's Puntland shot dead, Reuters-AfricaTech, 2 October 2017. Accessed on 3 October 2017.
- Galkayo: A peaceful island in Somalia
- Galcaio Airport or Galkayo Airport or Gaalkacyo Airport (GLK)
- Accident history for GLK at Aviation Safety Network
|This article about an airport in Somalia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|