Geetha Narayanan Gopal
|Geetha Narayanan Gopal|
|Full name||Geetha Narayanan Gopal|
|Born||29 March 1989 (age 32)|
Muvattupuzha, Kerala, India
|FIDE rating||2593 (October 2021)|
|Peak rating||2611 (July 2010)|
Like World Champion Viswanathan Anand's phenomena in the country, Gopal effect has popularized chess in Kerala.
Gopal was born in a Nair family in Muvattupuzha as the second son of Prof B. Narayana Pillai and Prof Geetha Prakasini. He has an elder brother Gokul who is a Computer Engineer.
Gopal started chess at the age of 10. He was initiated to chess by his father. He won his first National Championship in Chandigarh in 2001. He became the National Junior champion (U-20) at the age of 15 in 2004. He won his first international championship in his first international exposure in 2003 in Dubai Juniors, Dubai.
Gopal is working as Assistant Manager in Bharat Petroleum. He lives in Aluva.
- Created history at the age of 18 by becoming Kerala's first & sixteenth Grand Master of the country.
- Gold in National Junior (U-20) 2004 in Tirupathi (2004)
- Silver in National Premier (Men's) Championship in Delhi (Dec 2010)
- Tied for second spot in the National Premier (Men's) Championship in Chennai (2008)
- Gold in National U-12 Rapid in Chandigarh (2001)
- Silver in National Junior in Delhi (August 2006)
- Bronze medal in the Asian Games 2010 held in Guangzhou, China (Nov 2010)
- Silver in Asian Team Championship in China (May 2012)
- Silver in Asian Zonals Dhaka 2007
- Silver in Asian Team Championship, Vizag, 2008 and Gold medal on board-4 for individual performance
- Bronze for board performance in Asian Team Blitz Championship (May 2012)
- Bronze in Asian Sub-Junior Championship, Teheran, 2004
- Qualified to the FIDE World Cup from the Asian Continental Championship in Philippines, 2007
Olympiads and World Team 2010
Olympiads: He has represented India in three successive Chess Olympiads namely Dresden 2008,Khanty-Mansiysk 2010 and Istanbul 2012
World Team Chess Championship 2010: His team India won bronze in the prestigious World Team 2010
He received the prestigious Tigran Mets Medal during the Lake Sevan 2007 where he was the joint winner. "The Tigran Mets Medal" is a highly prestigious and very special honor of the Republic of Armenia.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Geetha Narayanan Gopal.|