Yan Geling at Frankfurt bookfair 2014
November 16, 1958 |
|Notable works||A Woman's Epic|
Geling Yan (simplified Chinese: 严歌苓; traditional Chinese: 嚴歌苓; pinyin: Yán Gēlíng; born 1958) is a famous Chinese writer, author of several novels, short stories and screenplays. Much of her work has been adapted for film. She is currently represented by the Hong Kong based Peony Literary Agency.
Yan was born in Shanghai, China. She performed as a dancer at age 12. She served in the People's Liberation Army during the Cultural Revolution, in Tibet and later as a journalist in the Sino-Vietnamese War, achieving a rank equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel.
Her first novel was published in 1985. She is the author of such novels as The Banquet Bug (published as The Uninvited in the UK) and The Lost Daughter of Happiness, as well as a story collection entitled White Snake and Other Stories. Several of Yan's works have been adapted for film, including Xiu Xiu: The Sent-Down Girl, which was directed by Joan Chen, and Siao Yu, directed by Sylvia Chang and screenplay co-written by Ang Lee. Zhang Yimou, the Chinese director of To Live and Raise the Red Lantern adapted her novella 13 Flowers of Nanjing to the screen as The Flowers of War, and his movie Coming Home was based on Yan's novel The Criminal Lu Yanshi. She has worked on other scripts including a biography of Mei Lanfang, the Peking opera star, for Chinese director Chen Kaige.
Novels in English
- The Banquet Bug (written in English, published as The Uninvited in the UK)
- The Lost Daughter of Happiness (tr. Cathy Silber, Chinese title Fusang 《扶桑》)
- The Flowers of War (tr. Nicky Harman, Chinese title Jinling shisan chai 《金陵十三钗》)
- Little Aunt Crane (tr. Esther Tyldesley, Chinese title Xiaoyi Duohe 《小姨多鶴》)
Short stories in English
- The Landlady (tr. Lawrence A. Walker)
- Disappointing Returns (tr. David Haysom)
- White Snake and Other Stories (tr. Lawrence A. Walker)
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) .
- "Peony Literary Agency".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Geling Yan.|
- Geling Yan's website
- Geling Yan at Peony Literary Agency
- Geling Yan profile at Paper Republic
- Geling Yan at the Internet Movie Database
- Book Browse Biography
- Works by or about Geling Yan in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Yan Geling Video produced by Makers: Women Who Make America
- Geling Yan on BBC Radio 4 Woman's Hour, 19 November 2015 (07:18 to 15:55)