George Grant (author)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was a church planter and pastor in Texas for ten years. He then served as an assistant to D. James Kennedy at the Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church and taught at Knox Theological Seminary. Following his move to Tennessee in 1991, Grant founded the King's Meadow Study Center and Franklin Classical School in Franklin. In 2006, he helped found New College Franklin, a Christian liberal arts college. Grant has also founded several Christian schools in northern Iraq. He is the author of more than 60 books and hundreds of articles. He is currently involved in church planting in Middle Tennessee and serves as the pastor of Parish Presbyterian Church in Franklin, Tennessee.
Grant is a pro-life scholar and advocate. He has written books on the Christian pro-life movement, Planned Parenthood, and Margaret Sanger. He has also written books on helping the poor and the homeless.
Grant is a prominent figure in the Christian reconstructionist movement in the United States, and has been noted for his extreme conservative views, particularly on the topic of homosexuality.
Grant has degrees in Political Science from the University of Houston (B.A.), Philosophy from Whitefield Theological Seminary (M.A., D. Litt, PhD.), Humanities from Belhaven College (D. Hum.), and Theology from Knox Theological Seminary (D. Min. Cand.).
Grant is a notable Christian reconstructionist; Reason magazine in 1998 quoted him as saying "World conquest. It is dominion we are after...." Grant appeared in the 2017 creationist documentary film Is Genesis History?, in which he advocates for young Earth creationism.
In his 1993 book Legislating Immorality: the Homosexual Movement Comes out of the Closet, Grant wrote positively about past executions of gay people. He criticized the abandoning of the death penalty for homosexuality, writing that "[s]adly, the 20th century saw this remarkable 2,000-year-old commitment suddenly dissipate."
Author or co-Author
- The American Vision, 1984
- Bringing in the Sheaves: Replacing Government Welfare with Biblical Charity, 1985, '89, '95
- In the Shadow of Plenty: Biblical Principles for Welfare, 1986, '98, 2009
- The Dispossessed: Homelessness in America, 1986
- To the Work: A Handbook for Church Diaconal Ministry, 1986
- The Changing of the Guard: The Vital Role Christians Play in America’s Unfolding Cultural Drama, 1987, '95
- The Catechism of the New Age: A Response to Dungeons and Dragons, with Peter Leithart, 1987
- Rebuilding the Walls: A Biblical Strategy for Restoring America's Greatness, with Peter Waldron, 1987
- Grand Illusions: The Legacy of Planned Parenthood, 1988, '93, '98, 2000
- Trial and Error: The American Civil Liberties Union and Its Impact on Your Family, 1989, '93
- The Legacy of Planned Parenthood, 1989
- Third Time Around: The History of the Pro-Life Movement from the First Century to the Present, 1990, 2010
- Clean Air: A Citizen's Handbook for Media Accountability, with Peter Leithart, 1990
- In Defense of Greatness: How Biblical Character Shapes A Nation's Destiny, with Peter Leithart, 1990
- The Walls Came Tumbling Down: The Fall of Communism in Our Time, with Peter Leithart, 1990
- The Blood of the Moon: Understanding the Conflict between Islam and Western Civilization, 1991, 2001
- The Quick and the Dead: RU-486 and the New Chemical Warfare Against Your Family, 1991
- Homelessness In America: Its Causes and Its Cures, 1991
- Unnatural Affections: The Impuritan Ethic of the Modern Church, 1991
- The Last Crusader: The Untold Story of Christopher Columbus, 1992
- Hillarious: The Wacky Wit, Wisdom, and Wonderment of Hillary Rodham-Clinton, 1992
- Perot: The Populist Appeal of Strong-Man Politics, 1992
- The 57% Solution: A Conservative Strategy for the Next Four Years, 1993
- Where Do We Go From Here: An Agenda for Conservatives During Cultural Captivity, 1993
- Legislating Immorality: The Homosexual Movement Comes Out of the Closet, with Mark Horne, 1993
- The Family Under Siege: What the New Social Engineers Have in Mind for Your Children, 1994
- The Micah Mandate: Balancing the Christian Life, 1995, '99, 2010
- Killer Angel: A Biography of Margaret Sanger, 1995, 2000, 2010, 2014
- The Dittohead’s Little Instruction Book, 1996
- You Might Be a Liberal If, 1996
- Our Character, Our Future: Reclaiming America’s Moral Destiny, with Alan Keyes, 1996
- Immaculate Deception: The Shifting Agenda of Planned Parenthood, 1996
- Buchanan: Caught in the Crossfire, 1996
- Moral Earthquakes, with O.S. Hawkins, 1996
- Bless This Food, with Karen Grant and Julia Pitkin, 1996
- The Patriot’s Handbook: A Citizenship Primer, 1996, 2001
- Carry a Big Stick: The Uncommon Heroism of Theodore Roosevelt, 1996
- Faithful Volunteers: The History of Religion in Tennessee, with Stephen Mansfield, 1997
- Letters Home: Counsel from the Sages of the Past to their Loved Ones, with Karen Grant, 1997
- Logomorphs: A Politically Incorrect Dictionary, 1997
- The Reader’s Journal: The Stirling Bridge Classics Program, 1997
- Best Friends: Lessons from Extraordinary Relationships through the Ages, with Karen Grant, 1998
- Kids Who Kill: Confronting Our Culture of Violence, with Gov. Mike Huckabee, 1998
- Y2K: A Novel, with Michael Hyatt, 1998
- Just Visiting: How Travel Has Enlightened Lives Throughout History, with Karen Grant, 1999
- Lost Causes: The Romantic Attraction of Defeated Men and Movements, with Karen Grant, 1999
- Shelf Life: How Books Have Changed the Destinies of Men and Nations, with Karen Grant, 1999
- Going Somewhere: A Dan and Bea Adventure, 1999
- Christmas Spirit: The Celebrations of the Season, with Gregory Wilbur, 1999
- The Pocket Patriot: Citizenship Basics for the New Millennium, 2000
- The Christian Almanac: Each Day in History, with Gregory Wilbur, 2000, '02
- Garden Graces: How the Tasks of Gardening Have Shaped Art, Music, and History, with Karen Grant, 2001
- The Absolutes: The Indisputable Principles of Civilized Society, with James Robison, 2002
- Center of the Storm: Practicing Principled Leadership in Times of Crisis, with Katherine Harris, 2002
- An Emerging Nation: The American War of Independence, 2003
- The Importance of the Electoral College, 2004
- The Courage of Theodore Roosevelt, 2005
- On the Road to Independence, with Gary DeMar, 2006
- Cheerful Givers, 2008
- The American Patriot's Handbook: The Writings, History, and Spirit of a Free Nation, 2009, 2016
- Homosexuality, the Military, and the Future: The Moral and Strategic Crisis, editor, 1993
- Gays in the Military: A Caveat Collection, editor, 1993
- Hero Tales: How Common Lives Reveal the Uncommon Genius of America, editor, 2000
- From Bannockburn to Flodden: Tales by Sir Walter Scott, editor, 2001
- From Gileskirk to Greyfriars: Tales by Sir Walter Scott, editor, 2001
- From Glencoe to Stirling Bridge: Tales by Sir Walter Scott, editor, 2001
- From Montrose to Culloden: Tales by Sir Walter Scott, editor, 2001
- Q and I: An Arthur Quiller-Couch Anthology, editor, 2003
- Parish Life: A Thomas Chalmers Anthology, editor, 2003
- Thomas Jefferson, by John Morse, editor, 2005
- George Washington, by Henry Cabot Lodge, editor, 2005
- The Expulsive Power of a New Affection: A Sermon by Thomas Chalmers, editor, 2007, 09
- A Sabbath Psalter: Scripture Readings by Thomas Chalmers, editor, 2010
- "Dr. George Grant Promotes Christian Doctrine in Education". The Christian Post. 2004-06-07. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- King’s Meadow Study Center web site
- "History". New College Franklin. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- "Founder's Spotlight: The Classical Difference". The Classical Difference. 2018-08-27. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- List of Grant's works at LibraryThing.com
- Newcombe, Jerry (2019-07-25). "The searing of the conscience over the issue of abortion". The Christian Post. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- Potok, Mark (2004-04-20). "Doug Wilson's Religious Empire Expanding in the Northwest". Southern Poverty Law Center. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Olson, Walter (1998). "Reasonable Doubts: Invitation to a Stoning". Reason. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Graden, Dale (2003-12-27). "Opinion: Their View: Coalition says conference undermines diversity". Moscow-Pullman Daily News - Google News Archive Search. Retrieved 2019-07-11.
In his 1993 book Legislating Immorality (co-authored by Mark Horne), Grant advocates the death penalty for gays, saying '[t]here is no such option for homosexual offenses' except capital punishment (pp. 186-87).
- Nossiter, Adam (1997-04-13). "Throngs Rally To Aid Judge In Displaying Biblical Code". The New York Times. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
One was George Grant, who approvingly cited biblical and historical examples of the execution of homosexuals in a 1993 book titled 'Legislating Immorality: the Homosexual Movement Comes out of the Closet.' 'Sadly,' it said, 'the 20th century saw this remarkable 2,000-year-old commitment suddenly dissipate.'
- "A Dozen Major Groups Help Drive the Religious Right's Anti-Gay Crusade". Southern Poverty Law Center. 2005-04-28. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- "Leadership". Parish Presbyterian Church. Retrieved 2013-10-28.