Ghana International Airlines
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ceased operations||13 May 2010|
|Hubs||Kotoka International Airport|
|Key people||Gifty E. Annan-Myers, Ag. CEO; Albert Botchway, Chairman|
The airline was set up in 2004  as a partnership between the government of Ghana and a group of private international investors. A team of executives led by Ralph Atkin, founder of SkyWest Airlines in the United States, was installed, which also included Brian Presbury, the former CEO of Kenya Airways.
Ghana International Airlines commenced operations on 29 October 2005 with daily flights between Accra and London Gatwick Airport using a Boeing 757 wet leased from Ryan International Airlines. The airline commenced seasonal service to OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 2006. Flights to Düsseldorf, Germany, began in 2008.
It is owned by the Ghanaian government (70%) and US consortium (GIA-USA) (30%), but the shareholders have been engaged in a protracted legal dispute since 2006. The airline had 168 employees (at March 2008).
Ghana International served the following destinations :
Ghana International Airlines had interline partnerships with numerous international airlines including: Air Baltic, Air Namibia, Continental Airlines, flyBE, Kenya Airways, Air Nigeria and South African Airways.
|Boeing 757-200||1||169 (16/153)||all||Leased from Astraeus|
Accidents and incidents
- On 28 January 2009, a Ghana International Airlines Boeing 757 flying from Accra, Ghana, to London Gatwick, United Kingdom, with 96 passengers and nine crew reported anomalies with the control systems when climbing out of Accra. The aircraft made a safe return to Kotoka International Airport where the remains of a beetle-like creature were discovered to be obstructing the left pitot system.
- ""Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-20. Retrieved 2010-06-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)." Joy FM - Government to take firm decision on GIA
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 2007-04-03. p. 86.
- "Ghana International Airlines Gearing Up Operations".
- "Airlines- Ghana". Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "." Modern Ghana - Shareholder Dispute