Gregory Manchess is American illustrator from Kentucky. His illustrations have appeared in magazines, digital murals, illustrated movie posters, advertising campaigns and book covers including sixty covers for Louis L’Amour. His work had appeared on Major League Baseball World Series Programs, Time, Newsweek, The Atlantic Monthly, Playboy, Smithsonian and The National Geographic. His style includes broad brush strokes and excellent figure work.
He lectures frequently at universities and colleges nationwide and gives workshops on painting at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA. He leads an Illustration Master Class in Amherst, MA.
He is represented by Richard Solomon.
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois - Portraits of Abraham Lincoln
- National Geographic Society expedition to the Fond du Lac river in Canada for the 1996 article "David Thomson: The Man Who Measured Canada"
- National Geographic Society illustrations for "The Wreck of the C.S.S. Alabama"
- National Geographic exhibition - “Real Pirates: The Untold Story of The Whydah, from Slave Ship to Pirate Ship”
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Concept Illustrator 2005
- 2009 Oregon Statehood Stamp by the United States Postal Service
- Literary Arts series; Mark Twain Stamp by the United States Postal Service
Nominated for a Caldecott Medal in 1977
Society of Illustrators New York
Society of Illustrators Los Angeles
- Silver medals
- Best in Show Award.
- First Prize Wildlife Art Competition 1990
- Featured in 1996, 1998, and 2000 in Step-By-Step Graphics.
- Silver medal in 2001
- Eleanor Ettinger Galleries in New York and Hong Kong
- Witham Gallery; Ohio - 1997
- Walt Reed Gallery; Westport, Connecticut - “The Illustrator in America, 1860–2000”.
- Members Gallery at the Society of Illustrators - February 1, 2011 - February 26, 2011
- Arte Verissima Gallery - "Weightless" - January 24, 2015 - March 8, 2015
- "Over 30 Award Winning Artists & Muralists for Commission | Large Format Architectural Murals in Public and Private Spaces | Artist Gregory Manchess". Art On A Grand Scale. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Society of Illustrators:Greg Manchess". Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "a blog about drawing, painting, illustration, comics, concept art and other visual arts » Gregory Manchess". lines and colors. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Postal Service Previews 2009 Commemorative Stamp Program - Entertainment News". redOrbit. 2008-12-29. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "USPS Unveils New Stamps for 2011". US-CA: Everythinglongbeach.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Society of Illustrators:". Societyillustrators.org. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "The Vengeful Virgin". Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Zero Cool". Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- Irene Gallo (2009-03-24). "Greg Manchess painting Canticle by Ken Scholes". Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- Ken Scholes (2009-02-17). "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon by Ken Scholes". Tor.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Jay Lake and Ken Scholes (2010-01-13). "Looking for Truth in a Wild Blue Yonder by Jay Lake,Ken Scholes". Tor.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Ken Scholes and Jay Lake (2010-01-13). "The Starship Mechanic by Ken Scholes,Jay Lake". Tor.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "The Society of Illustrators: Hamilton King Award Past Inductees". Societyillustrators.org. Archived from the original on 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Society of Illustrators". Societyillustrators.org. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Weightless - Gregory Manchess Solo Exhibition". Arte Verissima.
- "Fine Art Connoisseur - Gregory Manchess: Painting Liberated". Fine Art Connoisseur.