|In the Pantanal, Brazil|
The grey-breasted martin (Progne chalybea) is a large swallow from Central and South America.
Taxonomy and etymology
The subspecies and their distributions are:
- P. c. chalybea – (Gmelin, 1789): nominate, breeds from Mexico through Central America south to central Brazil, and on Trinidad
- P. c. warneri – Phillips, A.R., 1986: found in western Mexico
- P. c. macrorhamphus – Brooke, 1974: breeds further south in South America to central Argentina
Adult grey-breasted martins are 18 cm (7.1 in) in length, with a forked tail and relatively broad wings, and weigh 39 g (1.4 oz). Adult males are a glossy blue-black with the grey-brown throat, breast and sides contrasting with the white lower underparts. Females are duller than the male, and juveniles have dull brown upperparts.
The grey-breasted martin nests in cavities in banks and buildings, or old woodpecker holes. Normally 2–4 eggs are laid in the lined nest, and incubated for 15–16 days, with another 22 to fledging.
Grey-breasted martins are gregarious birds which hunt for insects in flight. Their call is a gurgly chew-chew, similar to that of the closely related Caribbean martin. The latter species is slightly larger, and has more contrasting underparts.
- Turner, Angela; Rose, Chris (1989). Swallows & Martins: An Identification Guide and Handbook. Houghton Mifflin. ISBN 978-0395511749.
- Hilty, Steven L. (2003). Birds of Venezuela. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-7136-6418-5.
- ffrench, Richard; O'Neill, John Patton; Eckelberry, Don R. (1991). A Guide to the Birds of Trinidad and Tobago (2nd ed.). Ithaca, N.Y.: Comstock Publishing. ISBN 0-8014-9792-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Progne chalybea.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Progne chalybea|
- BirdLife species factsheet for Progne chalybea
- "Grey-breasted martin media". Internet Bird Collection.
- Gray-breasted martin photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Gray-breasted martin species account at NeotropicalBirds (Cornell University)
- Interactive range map of Progne chalybea at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of Grey-breasted martin on Xeno-canto.
|This Hirundinidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|