HAL Light Utility Helicopter
|Light Utility Helicopter (LUH)|
|Manufacturer||Hindustan Aeronautics Limited|
|Primary users||Indian Army
The HAL Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and its derivative HAL Light Observation Helicopter (LOH) is a single-engine light helicopter under development by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited of India. The 3-tonne helicopter for the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force will replace the fleet of Cheetah and Chetak helicopters. The project is in preliminary stages. The Indian military have a requirement for 384 helicopters of which 187 helicopters will be built by HAL. The first flight was expected in 2015. Production is planned to begin in 2018 at 10 per year, later on going up to 36 per year and delivery of 187 HAL’s LUHs is to be completed by 2022.
As of 3 November 2012, the bottom structure assembly of the LUH ground test vehicle is complete and has been taken down from the jig last month. According to HAL, "LUH assembly jigs are modular and gaugeless jigs, concurrently designed along with structure design using 3D CAD. There are five assembly jigs and a coupling jig enabling modular and concurrent build- up of the structure. The jigs are built and validated using state-of-the-art CAMS-Computer Aided Measurement System (laser tracker) to establish high accuracy and stability.
- Crew: 2
- Capacity: up to 6 passengers
- Empty weight: 1,675 kg (3,693 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 2,700 kg (5,952 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × HAL/Turbomeca Shakti 1U turboshaft engine, 1,272 kW (1,706 hp)
- Cruising speed: 220 km/h (137 mph; 119 kn)
- Never exceed speed: 250 km/h (155 mph; 135 kn)
- Range: 350 km (217 mi; 189 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 6,500 m (21,325 ft)
- Rate of climb: 7.5 m/s (1,480 ft/min)
- Fuel consumption: 0.69 kg/km (2.4 lb/mi)
- Thrust/weight: 5.6
- HAL looks at foreign partners for chopper project
- Army Aviation's Helicopter Deal Awaited - SP's Land Forces
- LUH bottom structure assembly completed - SP's Land Forces
- "Turbomeca V2". Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "LUH page on Livefist Defence". Livefist Defence. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "LUH (Light Utility Helicopter)". hal-india.com. 2016-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HAL military aircraft.|