|Alma mater||ETH Zurich|
Stony Brook University
|Awards||Mistubishi Electric President's Award (2000)|
IEEE Visualization Technical Achievement Award (2010)
|Fields||Computer vision, Graphics, Scientific visualization|
|Thesis||Cube-4: A Scalable Architecture for Real-Time Volume Rendering (1996)|
|Doctoral advisor||Arie Kaufman|
Hanspeter Pfister is a Swiss computer scientist and the An Wang Professor of Computer Science at Harvard University. He is the Director of the Institute for Applied Computational Sciences at Harvard and on the board of directors of the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Visualization and Graphics. He was previously the associate director and senior research scientist at Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories.
Hanspeter Pfister received his master's degree in 1991 in electrical engineering at ETH Zurich and moved to the United States for his PhD in computer science at Stony Brook University. In 1992 he began working with Arie Kaufman on Cube-3, a hardware architecture for volume visualization. By the time of his graduation in 1996, he had finished the architecture for Cube-4 and licensed it to Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories. He then joined Mitsubishi Electric, where he worked for over a decade. He was the chief architect of VolumePro, Mitsubishi Electric’s real-time volume rendering graphics card, for which he received the Mitsubishi Electric President’s Award in 2000. He joined the faculty at Harvard University in 2007. In 2012 he was the Technical Papers Chair at SIGGRAPH. As of 2012 he also serves as a consultant for Disney Research
- Ellis, Brittany N.; Fahs, C. Ramsey (4 March 2016). "German Department Proposes Joint Concentration with SEAS". The Crimson. Harvard University. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- Roush, Wade (31 July 2007). "Upheaval at MERL: Mitsubishi Electric Breaks Up Famous Computer Science Lab". Xconomy. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Perspectives". College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Stony Brook University. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- Reilley, Connor (10 October 2012). "Hanspeter Pfister To Lead Institute for Applied Computational Sciences". www.thecrimson.com. Harvard University. The Crimson. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- Roush, Wade (1 August 2007). "The MERL Diaspora: Researchers from Defunct Mitsubishi Group Fan Out to Other Companies Xconomy". Xconomy. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Q&A with the 2012 Technical Papers Chair Hanspeter Pfister from Harvard". ACM SIGGRAPH Blog. 31 May 2012.
- Kirsner, Scott (30 May 2012). "Head of Disney's Cambridge research lab departs". Boston Globe. Retrieved 9 April 2017.