Jock D. Mackinlay
Jock D. Mackinlay (born 1952) is an American information visualization expert and Vice President of Research and Design at Tableau Software. With Stuart K. Card, George G. Robertson and others he invented a number of Information Visualization techniques.
Jock Mackinlay was born in Nuremberg, Germany and received his BA in Mathematics and Computer Science from UC Berkeley in 1975 and his PhD in computer science from Stanford University in 1986, where he pioneered the automatic design of graphical presentations of relational information.
In 1976 Mackinlay started working as a Systems Analyst for the Bank of America in San Francisco. In 1977 he became a Systems Analyst at Minimax Research Corporation. From 1979 to 1986 he was Research Assistant at Stanford University. In 1986 he joined Xerox PARC, where he collaborated with the User Interface Research Group to develop many novel applications of computer graphics for information access, coining the term "Information Visualization". Much of the fruits of this research can be seen in his 1999 published book, Readings in Information Visualization: Using Vision to Think, written and edited with Stuart K. Card and Ben Shneiderman. He holds numerous patents in user interfaces and visual analysis. He joined Tableau Software in 2004 as Director of Visual Analysis.
From 1997 until 2003 (?) he was Associate Editor of the ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction.
In 2005 Mackinlay won DMReview's data visualization competition.
- 1999. Readings in Information Visualization: Using Vision to Think. With Stuart K. Card and Ben Shneiderman. Morgan Kaufmann.
- 1986. "Automating the Design of Graphical Presentations of Relational Information". in: ACM Transactions on Graphics. 5(2, April), 110-141.
- 1989. "The cognitive coprocessor architecture for interactive user interfaces". With S. K. Card, and George G. Robertson. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pages 10–18. ACM Press, Nov 1989.
- 1991. "Cone Trees: Animated 3D Visualizations of Hierarchical Information". With George G. Robertson and Stuart K. Card. In: Robertson, Scott P., Olson, Gary M. and Olson, Judith S. (eds.) Proceedings of the ACM CHI 91 Human Factors in Computing Systems Conference April 28 - June 5, 1991, New Orleans, Louisiana. pp. 189–194.
- 1993. "Information Visualization Using 3D Interactive Animation". With Stuart K. Card, and George G. Robertson. In: Communications of the ACM, 36(4), April 1993. pp. 57–71.
- 1993. "The document lens". With George G. Robertson. In: Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology. ACM Press, Nov 1993.
- 2000. "Opportunities for Information Visualization". In: IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 20(1).
- 2004. "Log-based Longitudinal Study Finds Window Thrashing". With C. Royer.
- Keynote Panel Information Visualization - Where are We and Where Do We Go From Here? Proceedings Infovis 1996. Retrieved 6 June 2008.
- Jock D. Mackinlay homepage. at parc.com, 2004. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- Stanford EE Computer Systems Colloquium. Wednesday, May 03, 2006. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- Jock D. Mackinlay: CV, January 2003 Retrieved 11 April 2009
- 2005-10-11: Jock D. Mackinlay wins DMReview's data visualization competition. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
-  Introduction at tableausoftware.com.