|Created by||Neil Cross|
|Written by||Neil Cross|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||54–56 minutes|
|Production company||Euston Films|
|Original network||BBC One (UK)|
|Picture format||16:9 1080p|
|Original release||6 January –|
10 February 2018
Hard Sun is a pre-apocalyptic British crime drama series, created and written by Neil Cross, starring Agyness Deyn and Jim Sturgess as the principal characters, DI Elaine Renko and DCI Charlie Hicks. The series is a BBC co-production with the American streaming service Hulu.
The first series contains six episodes. It premiered on BBC One on 6 January 2018, with all six episodes subsequently available on the same day via BBC iPlayer. The series premiered on Hulu in the United States on 7 March 2018. The series has also been acquired by the Seven Network in Australia, ZDF in Germany and SVT in Sweden. The first series was released on DVD and Blu-ray on 19 February 2018.
Hard Sun is a pre-apocalyptic crime drama set in contemporary London. The protagonists are two mismatched police officers, Charlie Hicks and Elaine Renko, who stumble upon proof that a mysterious cosmic event will destroy the earth in five years, a fact the government is trying to keep secret to avoid complete anarchy. The duo is pursued by MI5 operatives who are trying to silence them for good.
Cast and characters
- Jim Sturgess as Detective Chief Inspector Charlie Hicks
- Agyness Deyn as Detective Inspector Elaine Renko
- Nikki Amuka-Bird as Grace Morrigan
- Owain Arthur as Detective Sergeant Keith Greener
- Lorraine Burroughs as Simone Hicks
- Richard Coyle as Thom Blackwood
- Dermot Crowley as Father Dennis Chapman
- Varada Sethu as Detective Sergeant Mishal Ali
- Jojo Macari as Daniel Renko
- Adrian Rawlins as Detective Sergeant George Mooney
- Derek Riddell as Detective Chief Superintendent Roland Bell
- Ukweli Roach as Will Benedetti
- Joplin Sibtain as Detective Sergeant Herbie Sarafian
- Aisling Bea as Mari Butler
Reviews for the first season were mixed. On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the first season holds a 50% approval rating with an average rating of 6.46 out of 10, based on 30 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Hard Sun's heady mix of narrative and visual flourishes buckle under a surfeit of clichés that ultimately weigh it down and leave the show a muddled mess." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the season a score of 46 out of 100 based on 9 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"The Sun, The Moon, The Truth"||Brian Kirk||Neil Cross||6 January 2018|
|2||"One Thousand, Eight Hundred Days"||Brian Kirk||Neil Cross||13 January 2018|
|3||"Luke 21:25"||Nick Rowland||Neil Cross||20 January 2018|
|4||"Can You Hear Him Now?"||Nick Rowland||Neil Cross||27 January 2018|
|5||"Not the End of the World"||Richard Senior||Neil Cross||3 February 2018|
|6||"Sun Day"||Richard Senior||Neil Cross||10 February 2018|
- Andreeva, Nellie (6 January 2017). "Hulu Teams With BBC For Neil Cross Crime Series 'Hard Sun', Jim Sturgess & Agyness Deyn To Star". Deadline Hollywood.
- Whitbrook, James (9 February 2018). "In the First Trailer for Hard Sun, Law and Order Crumbles in the Face of the Apocalypse". Gizmodo. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik (14 November 2017). "Hulu Sets Premiere Dates For 'Handmaid's Tale', 'The Path' & Two New Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "BBC Programming". BBC. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Knox, David (13 December 2017). "Seven picks up UK drama Hard Sun". TV Tonight. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Clarke, Stewart (10 October 2017). "Germany's ZDF Boards 'Hard Sun,' New Series for BBC and Hulu From 'Luther' Creator".
- Sweden, Sveriges Television AB, Stockholm, Hard sun - Avsnitt 1 (in Swedish), archived from the original on 9 March 2018, retrieved 8 March 2018
- "Hard Sun". 23 March 2018 – via Amazon.
- "Is Hard Sun getting a second series? Creator Neil Cross is planning 5".
- Harrison, Ellie (15 August 2018). "Hard Sun dropped by BBC after one series". Radio Times. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- Gibraltar Chronicle newspaper; 06/01/2018; p. 9
- "Hard Sun: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "Hard Sun : Season 1". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 5 April 2018.