A Teacher (miniseries)
|Created by||Hannah Fidell|
|Based on||A Teacher|
by Hannah Fidell
|Music by||Keegan DeWitt|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Running time||21–28 minutes|
|Original network||FX on Hulu|
|Original release||November 10, 2020 –|
A Teacher is an American drama television miniseries created by Hannah Fidell based on her film of the same name. The series stars Kate Mara and Nick Robinson. It is produced by FX and premiered on sister streaming service FX on Hulu on November 10, 2020.
Claire Wilson, a popular young high school English teacher, has an affair with an 18-year-old student, Eric Walker. The miniseries explores the complexities and consequences of their forbidden romance.
- Kate Mara as Claire Wilson, a popular young new teacher at a suburban Texas high school.
- Nick Robinson as Eric Walker, a high school senior.
- Ashley Zukerman as Matt Mitchell, Claire's husband with a boyish charm and creative side that he's been repressing for years.
- Shane Harper as Logan Davis, one of Eric's best friends and Cody's younger brother.
- Marielle Scott as Kathryn Sanders, a French teacher at Westerbrook and Claire's newest friend.
- Dylan Schmid as Josh Smith
- Adam David Thompson as Nate Wilson, an ex-military and current police officer who is Claire's older brother, a nice guy pretending to be tough because the job requires it.
- Jana Peck as Victoria Davis
- Rya Kihlstedt as Sandy Walker, Eric's hardworking working-class mother who's been on her own her entire life.
- Camila Perez as Alison Miller, Eric's socially conscious and well-meaning ex-girlfriend.
- Cameron Moulène as Cody, a frat boy and Logan's older brother.
- Ciara Bravo as Mary Smith, Josh's sister
- Charlie Zeltzer as Phil Walker, Eric's little brother.
|No.||Title ||Directed by ||Written by ||Original release date |
|1||"Episode 1"||Hannah Fidell||Hannah Fidell||November 10, 2020|
|2||"Episode 2"||Hannah Fidell||Hannah Fidell||November 10, 2020|
|3||"Episode 3"||Hannah Fidell||Andrew Neel||November 10, 2020|
|4||"Episode 4"||Gillian Robespierre||Ruby Rae Spiegel||November 17, 2020|
|5||"Episode 5"||Andrew Neel||Rosa Handelman||November 24, 2020|
|6||"Episode 6"||Gillian Robespierre||Andrew Neel||December 1, 2020|
|7||"Episode 7"||Andrew Neel||Boo Killebrew||December 8, 2020|
|8||"Episode 8"||Hannah Fidell||Rosa Handelman||December 15, 2020|
|9||"Episode 9"||Hannah Fidell||Boo Killebrew||December 22, 2020|
|10||"Episode 10"||Hannah Fidell||Hannah Fidell & Dana Kitchens||December 29, 2020|
In February 2014, it was revealed that Fidell's film A Teacher would be adapted for television by HBO. Fidell would write and executive produce the series along with Danny Brocklehurst. Kate Mara who is starring in the series also be serving as an executive producer, while Fidell will also direct the series, set up at FX instead of HBO. It was announced in November 2019 that the show would premiere on Hulu instead of FX, as part of "FX on Hulu". Keegan DeWitt composed the series score. The miniseries premiered on November 10, 2020, with the first 3 episodes available and the rest debuting on a weekly basis.
In August 2018, it was announced Kate Mara and Nick Robinson were cast in lead roles for the series. In September 2019, Ashley Zukerman, Marielle Scott, Shane Harper, and Adam David Thompson joined the cast as series regulars, while Rya Kihlstedt, Camila Perez, Cameron Moulène and Ciara Bravo joined in recurring roles.
For the miniseries, review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 71% based on 28 reviews, with an average rating of 6.26/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Beautiful, but slight, A Teacher's attempts to unpack its cautionary tale are admirable, even if its approach is too muted to make a meaningful impact." Metacritic gave the miniseries a weighted average score of 69 out of 100 based on 23 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Kristen Baldwin of Entertainment Weekly gave the miniseries a B and wrote as "Television is a medium that allows us to live with characters; instead, A Teacher gives us a highlight reel of psychic convalescence, before ending on a note of oversimplified closure."
- "FX on Hulu". FX. Retrieved May 28, 2020.
- Petski, Denise (August 22, 2019). "FX's 'A Teacher' Limited Series Gets Green Light; Nick Robinson Joins Kate Mara As Co-Lead". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 8, 2020.
- Schwartz, Ryan (September 9, 2020). "Kate Mara Is A Teacher Caught in Forbidden Romance With a Student in FX on Hulu Limited Series Trailer". TVLine. Retrieved September 9, 2020.
- Malkin, Marc (November 9, 2020). "Nick Robinson Talks Overcoming COVID and His New FX Series 'A Teacher' With Kate Mara". Variety. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- Hale, Mike (November 9, 2020). "'A Teacher' Review: After School, Not So Special". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- "A Teacher". Writers Guild of America West. Retrieved June 24, 2020.
- "A Teacher". Hulu Press. Archived from the original on October 24, 2020. Retrieved October 24, 2020.
- "Shows A-Z - teacher, a on hulu". The Futon Critic. The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- "Hannah Fidell's A Teacher To Be Adapted at HBO". Filmmaker Magazine. February 11, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 22, 2018). "Kate Mara To Topline 'A Teacher' Limited Series In Works At FX Based On Hannah Fidell's Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (November 7, 2019). "FX to Produce Programming for Hulu". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- Iannucci, Rebecca (November 7, 2019). "FX to Produce Programming for Hulu". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 16, 2019.
- White, Peter (June 22, 2020). "Hulu Unveils Details Of Steve Martin & Martin Short Comedy As 'Y: The Last Man' & 'American Horror Stories' Become FX On Hulu Originals". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 22, 2020.
- "Keegan DeWitt Scoring FX on Hulu's 'A Teacher'". FilmMusicReporter. August 31, 2020. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
- Petski, Denise (September 6, 2019). "'A Teacher': FX Limited Series Based On Hannah Fidell's Film Adds Eight To Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 28, 2020.
- Volmers, Eric (August 13, 2019). "House of Cards' Kate Mara in Calgary shooting new FX series A Teacher". Calgary Herald.
- Fidell, Hannah (October 4, 2019). "Nine more days until we wrap #ATeacherFX 😭". Retrieved September 9, 2020.
- "A Teacher: Miniseries (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "A Teacher". Metacritic. Retrieved November 10, 2020.
- Baldwin, Kristen (October 29, 2020). "A Teacher sleeps with student; it ends badly: Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 8, 2020.