Casual (TV series)
|Created by||Zander Lehmann|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||36 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||25-31 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Lionsgate Television|
|Original release||October 7, 2015– present|
Casual is an American television comedy-drama series that premiered on October 7, 2015 on Hulu. Created by Zander Lehmann and directed by Jason Reitman, the series centers on Valerie (Michaela Watkins), a newly divorced single mother living with her brother Alex (Tommy Dewey) and her daughter Laura (Tara Lynne Barr). The cast also includes Frances Conroy and Nyasha Hatendi.
In advance of its premiere on Hulu, the first two episodes of the series received an advance preview screening at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival, as part of the festival's new Primetime platform of selected television projects.
On October 21, 2015, it was announced that Casual was renewed for a second season, which premiered on June 7, 2016. On June 23, 2016, Hulu renewed the series for a 13-episode third season, which premiered on May 23, 2017.
- Michaela Watkins as Valerie, a successful shrink divorcing her husband after finding him with a younger woman.
- Tommy Dewey as Alex, Valerie's younger brother who co-founded the popular dating site Snooger
- Tara Lynne Barr as Laura, Valerie's teenage daughter
- Nyasha Hatendi as Leon, Valerie's one-night stand whom Alex befriends
- Frances Conroy as Dawn, Valerie and Alex's mother
Guest and recurring
- Fred Melamed as Charles, Valerie and Alex's hedonistic father
- Evan Crooks as Emile, Laura's boyfriend
- Julie Berman as Leia, Valerie's assistant
- Patrick Heusinger as Michael, Laura's photography teacher
- Zak Orth as Drew, Valerie's ex-husband
- Eliza Coupe as Emmy, Alex's free-spirited romantic interest
- Katie Aselton as Jennifer, a therapist who works in the same building as Valerie.
- Dylan Gelula as Aubrey, a student in Laura's homeschool group.
- Britt Lower as Sarah Finn, Alex's ex-girlfriend.
- Vincent Kartheiser as Jordan Anderson, Alex's new partner in his company and Sarah's fiance
- Britt Robertson as Fallon, Jordan's assistant.
- Kyle Bornheimer as Jack, Valerie's love interest, friend of Jennifer.
- Rhenzy Feliz as Spencer, Laura's classmate, suffers from terminal cancer.
- Jamie Chung as Tina
- Judy Greer as Judy, a single mom.
The first season received critical acclaim. On Metacritic the first season holds a rating of 77 out of 100 based on 20 critic reviews, indicating 'generally favorable reviews'. Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season a 93% 'certified fresh' rating based on 28 critic reviews, with the critical consensus "Jason Reitman's Casual is a funny -- albeit very specific -- look at modern dating, sharpened by edgy dialogue and self-assured performances." For the 73rd Golden Globe Awards, the series was nominated in the category for Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy.
The second season received similar acclaim. It holds a 87% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 15 reviews, with an average rating of 8.8/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Well-written and solidly acted, Casual offers a profane -- yet profound -- take on life's many challenges". On Metacritic, the season holds a rating of 88 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "Universal acclaim".
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||October 7, 2015||December 2, 2015|
|2||13||June 7, 2016||August 23, 2016|
|3||13||May 23, 2017||August 1, 2017|
Season 1 (2015)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Pilot"||Jason Reitman||Zander Lehmann||October 7, 2015|
|Both Valerie and Alex go on dates based on matches on Alex's dating website.|
|2||"Friends"||Jason Reitman||Zander Lehmann||October 7, 2015|
|Alex spends the day with Valerie's one night stand Leon, and winds up having a crazy night. Valerie goes out with a group of 20-something girls who coach her on dating young men. Laura gets in trouble at a high school house party.|
|3||"Animals"||Max Winkler||Zander Lehmann||October 14, 2015|
|Valerie decides to move out of Alex's house but is blind-sided by the financial repercussions of divorce. Alex adopts a dog. Laura fantasizes about her photography teacher Michael.|
|4||"..."||Max Winkler||Zander Lehmann||October 21, 2015|
|Valerie breaks Alex's rules of casual sex. Alex is interviewed about his dating site. Laura makes a move on her teacher Michael.|
|5||"Mom"||Michael Weaver||Sheila Callaghan||October 28, 2015|
|Valerie and Alex's mother shows up unannounced. Valerie gets good advice from an unlikely source. Laura and Michael share a moment after she sees her father out with his new girlfriend.|
|6||"Biden"||Michael Weaver||Liz Tigelaar||November 4, 2015|
|Alex's secret profile gets its first real match. Laura bonds with Michael after her sex tape goes viral at school. Valerie gets closure with her ex-husband.|
|7||"Home"||Tricia Brock||Harris Danow||November 11, 2015|
|Alex and Emmy (Eliza Coupe) have a foursome. Laura discovers Valerie has been seeing Michael and moves out.|
|8||"Bottles"||Tricia Brock||Zander Lehmann & Harris Danow||November 18, 2015|
|Laura invites her estranged grandparents and her father and his new girlfriend to Thanksgiving dinner without telling Valerie or Alex.|
|9||"Mars"||Fred Savage||Halsted Sullivan||November 25, 2015|
|Alex and Valerie attend their parent's wedding rehearsal dinner. Laura attends a gallery where Michael is showing some of his photographs.|
|10||"Dave"||Fred Savage||Zander Lehmann||December 2, 2015|
|Alex leaves the rehearsal dinner to spend the night at Leon's house. Valerie and Emmy spend the day trying to find him. Laura plans to move to Mexico.|
Season 2 (2016)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Phase 3"||Jason Reitman||Zander Lehmann||June 7, 2016|
|Alex's troubling new obsession leads Valerie to take matters into her own hands. Laura investigates switching high schools.|
|2||"Trivial Pursuit"||Jason Reitman||Liz Tigelaar||June 7, 2016|
|Alex embraces his new role as Laura's teacher but his methods are questionable. Valerie reaches out to old friends and makes an unsettling discovery.|
|3||"Such Good Friends"||Karyn Kusama||Zander Lehmann||June 14, 2016|
|Valerie tries to take her friendship with fellow therapist Jennifer (Katie Aselton) to the next level. Alex considers an offer from a venture capitalist to keep Snooger from going under. Laura considers joining a homeschool study group.|
|4||"Big Green Egg"||Karyn Kusama||Harris Danow||June 21, 2016|
|Alex invites new investors to his house for barbecue, one of whom is engaged to Alex's ex-girlfriend, Sarah (Britt Lower). Jennifer plans to set Valerie up with one of her friends, but not all goes according to plan. Laura and Aubrey (Dylan Gelula) bond over a coffee.|
|5||"Bicycle Thieves"||Iain B. MacDonald||Zander Lehmann||June 28, 2016|
|Alex struggles to get along with his new business partner and receives a shocking fact about his past and Sarah from his father. Valerie considers freezing her eggs. Laura and Aubrey get high and kiss.|
|6||"100 Cows"||Iain B. MacDonald||Molly Smith Metzler||July 5, 2016|
|Alex wonders about the wedding gift for Sarah that can get her attention. Valerie goes out on a date with Harry, one of the friends of Jennifer. Laura and Aubrey take up a task of creating a care package for one of their classmates, Spencer (Rhenzy Feliz), who suffers from cancer.|
|7||"Threesomes"||Lynn Shelton||Liz Tigelaar||July 12, 2016|
|Alex dates Fallon (Britt Robertson), Jordan's assistant, to make Sarah jealous, Fallon reveals that she's helping him because she's interested in Jordan herself. Valerie consults Jennifer about her dilemma of choosing Jack or Harry. Aubrey and Laura have a threesome with Spencer.|
|8||"The Magpie"||Lynn Shelton||Zander Lehmann||July 19, 2016|
|Alex, Jordan, and Sarah deal with the fall out of earlier events. Laura's growing feelings for Spencer creates problems in her relationship with Aubrey. Valerie is unsure about dealing with her feelings for Jack.|
|9||"The Lake"||Marielle Heller||Marguerite MacIntyre||July 26, 2016|
|Alex is served a notice for negligence by Jordan. Valerie goes to a hiking trip with Jack, but is distracted by Alex's problems. Laura continues her relationship with Spencer; Aubrey confronts her.|
|10||"Reunion"||Marielle Heller||Rosa Handelman||August 2, 2016|
|Alex is uncomfortable with Sarah's growing presence at his house. Jack and Valerie pretend to be a couple on their honeymoon and crash a high school reunion at the hotel. Laura grows closer to Spencer.|
|11||"Death and Taxes"||Michael Weaver||Harris Danow||August 9, 2016|
|Valerie and Drew file their divorce settlement papers and Valerie stalks one of her ex-patients. Alex seeks professional help for therapy. Laura and Spencer go funeral casket shopping for Spencer.|
|12||"40"||Michael Weaver||Liz Tigelaar||August 16, 2016|
|On Valerie's 40th birthday, Valerie and Drew rekindle their relationship. Alex tries to make up with Valerie by planning a surprise party, much to displeasure of Valerie. Spencer's trial is successful and cancer is in remission.|
|13||"The Great Unknown"||Fred Savage||Zander Lehmann||August 23, 2016|
|After Spencer's cancer goes into remission, Laura loses all love interest for him. Alex and Valerie's father turns up with his mind made. He's ready to die and he wants Alex's help. With the help of Valerie and Laura, they poison his drink. Valerie decides to move out of Alex's house.|
Season 3 (2017)
On June 23, 2016, Hulu renewed the series for a 13-episode third season. The season premiered on May 23, 2017.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Ashes to Ashes"||Lynn Shelton||Zander Lehmann||May 23, 2017|
|2||"Things to Do in Burbank When You're Dead"||Carrie Brownstein||Zander Lehmann||May 23, 2017|
|3||"The Table"||Carrie Brownstein||Liz Tigelaar||May 23, 2017|
|4||"The Sprout"||Lake Bell||Marguerite MacIntyre||May 30, 2017|
|5||"Look at Me"||Lake Bell||Harris Danow||June 6, 2017|
|6||"Troubleshooting"||Amy York Rubin||Molly Smith Metzler||June 13, 2017|
|7||"The Rat King"||Amy York Rubin||Rosa Handelman||June 20, 2017|
|8||"Venus"||Michael Weaver||Tommy Dewey and Michaela Watkins||June 27, 2017|
|9||"Fresno"||Michael Weaver||Marguerite MacIntyre||July 4, 2017|
|10||"Cake Walk"||Gillian Robespierre||Harris Danow||July 11, 2017|
|11||"Firesale"||Gillian Robespierre||Molly Smith Metzler and Rosa Handelman||July 18, 2017|
|12||"99"||Jason Reitman||Liz Tigelaar||July 25, 2017|
|13||"The Hermit & the Moon"||Jason Reitman||Zander Lehmann||August 1, 2017|
- "See a not-so-happy Michaela Watkins in a first-look photo from Jason Reitman's Casual — exclusive". Entertainment Weekly, August 12, 2015.
- "Hulu Picks Up Jason Reitman ‘Casual’ Comedy Series in Lionsgate TV Pact". Variety, October 30, 2014.
- "TIFF's First-Ever TV Lineup Includes Jason Reitman's 'Casual' and 'Heroes Reborn'". Indiewire, August 13, 2015.
- Friedlander, Whitney (October 21, 2015). "Jason Reitman’s ‘Casual’ Gets Season 2 on Hulu". Variety. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- Pederson, Erik (April 4, 2016). "Hulu Makes Summer Dates With ‘Casual’, ‘Difficult People’ & ‘East Los High’". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- Petski, Denise (June 23, 2016). "Hulu Renews ‘Casual’ For Third Season; Inks First-Look Deal With Jason Reitman". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Pederson, Erik (November 16, 2016). "Hulu Sets Midseason Bows For ‘Handmaid’s Tale,’ ‘Harlots,’ & 3 Returning Series". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Fernandez, Maria Elena (October 8, 2015). "Michaela Watkins on the Interesting Women She’s Played, From Sarah Koenig to Casual". Vulture. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- Petski, Denise. "Frances Conroy, Nyasha Hatendi Join Jason Reitman’s Hulu Comedy Series ‘Casual’". Deadline. Retrieved November 5, 2015.
- Jarvey, Natalie. "Eliza Coupe Books Arc on Hulu's Jason Reitman Comedy 'Casual'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 5, 2015.
- Petski, Denise (February 22, 2016). "Julie Berman Upped To Regular On Hulu’s ‘Casual’; Katie Aselton Joins As Recurring". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- Petski, Denise (March 11, 2016). "Dylan Gelula Joins Hulu’s Casual; Tiffany Dupont in TNT’s ‘Murder In The First". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Britt Lower Joins Hulu Comedy 'Casual' (Exclusive)". March 2, 2016.
- Iannucci, Rebecca (March 16, 2016). "TVLine Items: Britt Robertson on Casual, Oprah's TV Return and More". TV Line. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- Petski, Denise (February 2, 2017). "‘Casual’: Jamie Chung Joins Hulu Comedy Series For Season 3". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (February 6, 2017). "Casual’: Judy Greer Set To Recur On Season 3 Of Hulu Comedy Series". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "Casual - Season 1 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 12, 2015.
- "Casual: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved October 12, 2015.
- "Golden Globe 2016 Nominations - Full List". Rotten Tomatoes. December 10, 2015. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "Casual:Season 2 (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "Casual : Season 2". Metacritic. Retrieved June 14, 2016.