|Founder||Richie Rich, Traver Rains|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York|
|Products||Apparel, accessories, cosmetics|
Heatherette is an American fashion company and design house. It was founded in 1999 by Richie Rich and Traver Rains. They first began designing t-shirts and leather goods. When Rich wore one of their leather tops to a party, he caught the attention of a buyer at the downtown store Patricia Field who ordered twenty of them. The exposure led to an instant following among celebrities.
Heatherette was established in the late 1999. At that time, former club kid and nightlife fixture Richie Rich was working with event producer Susanne Bartsch. Traver Rains had just moved to New York City from Dallas and was teaching horseback riding at Chelsea Piers where they first met. Rains later recalled: "Richie was assisting Susanne Bartsch at the time, and her son Bailey was taking riding lessons. Richie came to pick Bailey up one day in leather pants, and I was making leather t-shirt at the time, so we started talking about that." Together they began designing t-shirts and leather goods. In December of that year, Rich wore one of their leather tops to a party where he was noticed by a buyer for Patricia Field's store who ordered twenty of them. By the time they sold out, their work attracted the attention of American rapper Foxy Brown who asked them to design a custom outfit for her to wear to the MTV Video Music Awards. Shortly afterwards, singer Gwen Stefani was featured wearing one of their tops in Entertainment Weekly and Patricia Fields asked them to design a t-shirt for Sarah Jessica Parker's character on the television series Sex and the City.
In popular culture
Many celebrities have worn Heatherette fashions in public. Paris Hilton, Lydia Hearst, Amanda Lepore, Anna Nicole Smith, Mýa, Kelis and Jenna Jameson have modeled their fashions in runway shows.
Heatherette has received editorial credits in a variety of different genres of magazines. An especially wild Heatherette fashion show, which featured Anna Nicole Smith and Boy George, is chronicled in the Glenn Belverio's 2006 nonfiction book, Confessions from the Velvet Ropes. Heatherette has also been featured at New York Fashion Week.
Heatherette was featured on the third cycle of America's Next Top Model as the designer for a fashion show contest. They were guest judges on Project Runway Canada for the "When It Rains It Pours" challenge and also on Project Runway when contestants had to make costumes for WWE Divas. Heatherette was also featured on several television programmes and in the movie My Super Ex-Girlfriend.
Recently, Traver was featured on Fashion Television in an interview by Jeanne Beker:
Full Frontal Fashion interview on Traver: www.sundancechannel.com
Traver and Richie Rich appeared in the 2005 film One Last Thing....
On March 20, 2008, a collaboration collection with MAC Cosmetics, called "Heatherette for MAC", was released and includes illustrations of Traver Rains and Richie Rich on the cardboard packaging. This is the second collaboration between Heatherette and MAC Cosmetics.
- Dolan, Maggie (October 15, 2013). "Catching Up With Past Nightlife Award Winners: Heatherette". Paper. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- Trebay, Guy (September 10, 2001). "FASHION DIARY; As Usual, the Extroverts Get the Show Rolling". The New York Times. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- "Heatherette - Spring / Summer 2002 Ready-To-Wear - NYFW". Vogue. September 8, 2001. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- Craig, Teneille (October 1, 2008). "Whatever Happened to Heatherette?". Clutch. Retrieved December 21, 2015.
- Couture Candy - Celebrities wearing Heatherette Designer Clothing
- New York Magazine - Heatherette
- Fashion Windwos - Heatherette by Richie Rains & Travis Rains: Disposable Chic
- Confessions from the Velvet Ropes
- Google Books - Confessions from the Velvet Ropes
- Factio Magazine - New York Fashion Week: Heatherette
- Reality TV Magazine - Make me a Supermodel: Heatherette
- MTV Buzzworthy Blog - Heatherette
- Internet Movie Database - My Super Ex-Girlfriend
- Richie Rich and Traver Rains at the Fashion Model Directory
- Special Edition Motorola Krzr for the "Life Ball 2007"
- Richie Rich interview talking about breakup of Heatherette