1999 Hector Mine earthquake
|Date||October 16, 1999|
|Origin time||02:46:50 PDT |
|Magnitude||7.1 Mw |
|Depth||20 km (12 mi) |
|Areas affected||Southern California
|Total damage||Limited |
|Max. intensity||VII (Very strong) |
|Foreshocks||3.8 ML Oct 16 at 02:41 |
|Casualties||4–5 injured |
The 1999 Hector Mine earthquake occurred on October 16 at 02:46:50 PDT with a moment magnitude of 7.1 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong). The strike-slip earthquake occurred in a remote part of the Mojave Desert, 47 miles (76 km) east-southeast of Barstow, California, inside the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base. Its name comes from a nearby quarry named Hector Mine, which is located 22 kilometers (14 mi) northwest of the epicenter.
The earthquake was felt throughout Southern California, as well as in Las Vegas, Nevada. Many people were awakened in Las Vegas, with many reporting dizziness or trouble walking. Reports were filed as far north as Carson City, Nevada, where one woman reported waking up, hearing chimes in her house ringing.
Almost no damage was reported in the immediate area of the earthquake due to the remote location of the epicenter in the Mojave Desert, with no settlements for 14 miles in all directions; however, an Amtrak westbound Southwest Chief (train #3) became an unusual victim of the earthquake. The train was traveling very near the epicenter when the quake struck. The combined force of the quake and train caused several rails to come loose and the train derailed. Only minor injuries were reported, and the trainset suffered repairable damage.
It is thought that the earthquake may have been triggered by the 1992 Landers earthquake seven years prior, since the recurrence interval of large earthquakes in the Eastern California Shear Zone is considered to be in the order of thousands of years.
- List of earthquakes in 1999
- List of earthquakes in California
- List of earthquakes in the United States
- ISC (2017), ISC-GEM Global Instrumental Earthquake Catalogue (1900–2013), Version 4.0, International Seismological Centre
- USGS (September 4, 2009), PAGER-CAT Earthquake Catalog, Version 2008_06.1, United States Geological Survey
- National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS), Significant Earthquake Database, National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA, doi:10.7289/V5TD9V7K
- USGS. "M3.8 - Southern California". United States Geological Survey.
- Byers, W. G. (2001), Railroad damage from the October 16, 1999 Hector Mine earthquake (PDF), Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway
- SCEDC - Hector Mine Earthquake
- Robert J. Mellors; Lydie Sichoix; David T. Sandwell. "Lack of Precursory Slip to the Hector Mine Earthquake as constrained by INSAR" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- Evelyn J. Price; Roland Bürgmann. "Interactions between the Landers and Hector Mine, California, Earthquakes from Space Geodesy, Boundary Element Modeling, and Time-Dependent Friction". Retrieved 2009-10-21.