Henry Watkins (priest)
Born in Abergavenny on 19 January 1844, he was educated at King's College London and Balliol College, Oxford. Ordained in 1870  his first post was as a curate at St Nicholas, Pluckley  after which he was Vicar of Holy Trinity, Much Wenlock. He was a censor, tutor and lecturer in Greek Testament at King's College London from 1875 and Professor of Logic and Moral Philosophy from 1877. He became Warden of St Augustine's College, Canterbury in 1879; then held the three archdeaconries of the Diocese of Durham in quick succession: Archdeacon of Northumberland, 1880–June 1882; Archdeacon of Auckland, June–November 1882; and Archdeacon of Durham, November 1882–1922. He was Professor of Hebrew at Durham University, retiring in 1920; and the Bampton Lecturer at Oxford, in 1890.
- "University Intelligence", The Times (London, England), 26 June 1882; p. 10.
- Next Theology
- ” Durham University; earlier foundations and present colleges” Fowler,J.T London, F.E. Robinson 1904
- Amongst others he wrote Religion and Science (1878); The Church in Northumberland (1881); Holy Temple (1886) and The Gospel according to St John (1890) > British Library website accessed 14:03 GMT 17 November 2012.
- "The Queen's Levee", The Morning Post (London, England), 20 June 1899; p. 4. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- "Watkins, Ven. Henry William", Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, December 2007 accessed 17 Nov 2012
- UNIVERSITY OF LONDON. The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Friday, May 14, 1869; Issue 9700
- UNIVERSITY INTELLIGENCE.Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, June 15, 1878; Issue 6535
- ECCLESIASTICAL INTELLIGENCE. The Standard (London, England), March 15, 1870; pg. 6; Issue 14232. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- "Church News", The Standard (London, England), 17 June 1873; p. 6. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II
- National Archives
- ECCLESIASTICAL NEWS The York Herald (York, England), Tuesday, June 06, 1882; p. 3; Issue 7891. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II
- SGD.83/1 (Accessed 30 May 2014)
- Durham University Library Special Collections Catalogue
- "University Intelligence: Next year’s Bampton Lecturer announced", The Times (London, England), 22 May 1889; p. 8.
- Welsh Journals
- Obituary The Ven H.W. Watkins The Times(London, England), Friday, Sep 01, 1922; pg. 9; Issue 43125