|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Ely|
|Diocese||Diocese of Ely|
|Elected||6 December 2010|
|Installed||5 March 2011|
|Other posts||Bishop of Ramsbury (2006–2010)|
|Consecration||22 June 2006
by Rowan Williams
|Born||22 December 1957|
|Alma mater||Keble College, Oxford|
Stephen David Conway SCP (born 22 December 1957) is a British Anglican bishop. Since December 2010, he has been the Bishop of Ely. From 2006 to 2010, he was the Bishop of Ramsbury, an area bishop (before 2009) and then suffragan bishop of the Diocese of Salisbury.
Early life and education
Conway was born on 22 December 1957. He was educated at Archbishop Tenison's Grammar School, a state grammar school in Lambeth, London. He studied modern history at Keble College, Oxford, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree; as per tradition, his BA was promoted to a Master of Arts (MA Oxon).
Conway remained at Keble College to undertake teacher training, and he completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in 1981. He then became a teacher, working as a assistant master at Glenalmond College, an independent school in Perth, Scotland, between 1981 and 1983.
In 1983, Conway matriculated into Westcott House, Cambridge, a Anglican theological college in the Liberal Catholic tradition, to trained for ordained ministry. During this time he also studied theology at Selwyn College, Cambridge, and he graduated with a further BA degree in 1985. After a further year of training, he left theological college in 1986 to be ordained in the Church of England.
Conway was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1986 and as a priest in 1987. From 1986 to 1989, he served his curacy at St Mary's Church, Heworth in the Diocese of Durham. He was an assistant curate at Church of St Michael and All Angels, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland, between 1989 to 1990, and then an honorary curate of St Margaret's Church, Durham, between 1990 to 1994. From 1989 to 1994, he was also Director of Ordinands for the Diocese of Durham. He then moved to St Mary's Church, Cockerton, Darlington, where he was Priest-in-Charge from 1994 to 1996 and Vicar from 1996 to 1998.
On 2 May 2006, his nomination as Bishop of Ramsbury was announced, and he was consecrated on 22 June 2006. He was the last area bishop under that diocese's 1981–2009 area scheme. Following the retirement of David Stancliffe as Bishop of Salisbury in July 2010, Conway was made responsible for the administration of that diocese. On 31 August 2010, it was announced that he would be the next Bishop of Ely. He was elected by the College of Canons at Ely on 18 October 2010, and the election was confirmed by the provincial court on 6 December 2010, at which point he legally became the Bishop of Ely. His installation and enthronement was held in Ely Cathedral on 5 March 2011.
In accordance with constitutional practice, upon becoming the twenty-sixth most senior bishop in the Church of England (after the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Archbishop of York, the Bishops of London, Durham and Winchester, and the nineteen other longest serving Bishops), Conway became one of the Lords Spiritual of the House of Lords on 4 June 2014. He was introduced to the House on Monday, 7 July 2014.
- Stephen Conway (1957–1986)
- The Reverend Stephen Conway (1986–2002)
- The Venerable Stephen Conway (2002–2006)
- The Right Reverend Stephen Conway (2006–present)
- "ELY, Bishop of,". Who's Who 2017. Oxford University Press. November 2016. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Stephen David Conway". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 13 October 2016. (subscription required)
- "A New Bishop in Wiltshire". BBC Local Wiltshire. British Broadcasting Corporation. 6 May 2006. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Diocese of Ely, 10 Downing Street website, 31 August 2010.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Official Nomination of Suffragan See of Ramsbury, 10 Downing Street website, 2 May 2006.
- Northern Echo — Standing Tall
- "no. 58012". The London Gazette. 15 June 2006. p. 8197. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- Salisbury Diocesan Synod minutes – 99th session, 7 November 2009 p. 3 (Accessed 23 April 2014)
- Diocese of Ely – March 5th date set for Installation and Children's Event (Accessed 11 April 2014)
- "Bishop of Ely". UK Parliament. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "House of Lords Business: Monday 7 July 2014 at 2.30 pm". UK Parliament. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Ramsbury
|Bishop of Ely