Bishop of Berwick
The title was originally created in 1537 in the Diocese of Durham, and takes its name from the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed in Northumberland. After the death of the only bishop in 1572, the title went into abeyance.
From 1980 until 2016, the Assistant Bishop of Newcastle was an episcopal title used by the sole stipendiary assistant bishop (effectively suffragan bishop) of the Diocese of Newcastle. The title took its name as the bishop who assists the diocesan Bishop of Newcastle.
On 28 November 2015, Frank White, Assistant Bishop of Newcastle (at the end of a vacancy in the See of Newcastle), presented a proposal to the Diocesan Synod of the Diocese of Newcastle (within which diocese Berwick now lies) to revive the abeyant Suffragan See of Berwick. The Dioceses Commission approved the petition to revive the See, the post was advertised in April 2016, and the appointment of Mark Tanner, Warden of Cranmer Hall, (part of St John's College, Durham) was announced on 1 September 2016.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Berwick|
|1537||1572||Thomas Sparke||Consecrated on 9 December 1537; died in 1572.|
|Assistant Bishops of Newcastle|
|1980||1998||Ken Gill||Formerly Bishop of the Central Karnataka Diocese of the Church of South India. Appointed stipendiary Assistant Bishop of Newcastle in 1980.|
|1998||2010||Paul Richardson||Formerly Bishop of Wangaratta in the Anglican Church of Australia. Resigned and joined the Roman Catholic Church|
|2010||2016||Frank White||Formerly suffragan Bishop of Brixworth.|
|Bishops of Berwick|
|2016||present||Mark Tanner||Consecrated 18 October 2016.|
- Diocese of Newcastle — Mark Tanner announced as new Suffragan Bishop of Berwick (Accessed 2 September 2016)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 945. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- Handbook of British Chronology, page 287. Retrieved on 9 October 2008.
- Anglican Communion — Newcastle
- Newcastle Diocesan Synod, 28 November 2015 — Agenda (Accessed 19 January 2016)
- Newcastle Diocesan Synod, 28 November 2015 — Suffragan See of Berwick (Accessed 19 January 2016)
- Diocese of Newcastle — Frank White to retire in September (Accessed 28 April 2016)
- Haydon News, April 1998 (p. 12)
- "Archbishop of Canterbury Awards Lambeth Degrees". Official Archbishop of Canterbury website. 7 September 2004. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- Whittaker's Almanack (120th ed.). London: Whitaker and Sons Ltd. 1988. p. 488. ISBN 0-85021-178-6.
- ""Church of England bishop converts to Rome" - Damian Thompson - Daily Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph. London. 17 February 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- Diocese of Newcastle — New Assistant Bishop of Newcastle announced
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (Third Edition, revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 287. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|