|Also known as||IBM 3179G COLOR DISPLAY STATION|
|Release date||March 1984|
|Introductory price||US$2,295 (equivalent to $5,291 in 2016)|
3179-G terminals combine text and graphics as separate layers on the screen. Although the text and graphics appear combined on the screen, the text layer actually sits over the graphics layer. The text layer contains the usual IBM 3270-style cells which display characters (letters, numbers, symbols, or invisible control characters). The graphics layer is an area of 720×384 pixels. 'All Points Addressable' or 'vector graphics' is used to paint each pixel in one of sixteen colors. As well as being separate layers on the screen, the text and graphics layers are sent to the display in separate data streams, making them completely independent.
- IBM 3179 COLOR DISPLAY STATION Announcement Letter Number 184-039 dated March 20, 1984 US - Last Revised on March 20, 1984, IBM announces the 3179 Color Display Station, a new, low price, color display member of the IBM 3270 Information Display System. The 3179 is a compact, 7-color, 1920-character, 14-inch CRT with bright, clear colors and a smudge-free screen surface. It features a new, modifiable keyboard, and function equivalent to that provided by both the IBM 3279 Models S2A and S2B....First customer shipment for the 3179 is planned for March 1984. ...Purchase...$2,295...
- Sun Software Emulates IBM Display Terminal, By Mark Stephens, Page 11, 1988-06-20, InfoWorld, emulates an IBM 3179G display terminal and allows Sun workstation users
- Telex beefs up its lineup By Jim Brown, Page 27, 1987-02-16, Network World, ...The firm also introduced an option that supports attachment of IBM's 3179G Graphic Display Station to a series 274 controller...
- IBM 3179G: To beep or not to beep, By Ken Hornstein, 01/10/1991, comp.terminals, Google Groups
- Object: 11000554 IBM 3179G, producer: IBM, serial number: 55-N1186, dating: 1985-11-01 - 1985-11-30, received: 2009-11-18, Description: IBM 3179 - Display station (color or graphics) for IBM 3270, Danish Data Historical Society Wiki.
- Software & Services:Productivity Aids, Page 62 , 1985-07-15, Computerworld, Pansopic Systems, Inc has announced that Gener/O1, its online program development system for IBM's CICS, now supports IBM's 3179 Model G graphics terminal...
- 3270 Graphics, By Greg Price, January 2008, Prycroft Six,2. Native Vector Graphics - introduced with the 3179G and also used by the 3192G and 3472G.
- Reflection for IBM 14.x - Programming Reference, 3179G graphics coordinates, IBM 3179G graphics coordinates divide the Reflection window into 384 vertical units and 720 horizontal units.