If I Loved You
|"If I Loved You"|
|Songwriter(s)||Oscar Hammerstein II|
In the show, the characters of Billy Bigelow and Julie Jordan sing this song as they hesitantly declare their love for one another, yet are too shy to express their true feelings.
There were four hit versions of the song in 1945: Perry Como (#3), Frank Sinatra (#7), Bing Crosby (#8) and Harry James (#8). In 1954, Roy Hamilton's recording went to #4 on Billboard's, Best Sellers in Stores chart.
Many artists have recorded the song over the years.
- Gilliland, John. (197X). "Pop Chronicles 1940s Program #14 - All Tracks UNT Digital Library". Digital.library.unt.edu. Retrieved 2021-01-26.
- "Internet Broadway Database". ibdb.com. Retrieved January 14, 2019.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Wisconsin, USA: Record Research Inc. p. 526. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 243.
- "secondhandsongs.com". secondhandsongs.com. Retrieved January 14, 2019.