I'm Beginning to See the Light
"I'm Beginning to See the Light" is a popular song and jazz standard, written by Duke Ellington, Don George, Johnny Hodges, and Harry James, and published in 1944. Ella Fitzgerald and The Ink Spots featuring Bill Kenny recorded a version in 1945, that was on the pop song hits list for six weeks in 1945, reaching #5. A competing 1945 recording by Harry James and his Orchestra, with lead vocal by Kitty Kallen reached #1 for two weeks in January of that year. James' version of the song reached #7 on Billboard's Second Annual High School Survey in 1945. Duke Ellington also released in 1945 a version, which reached the top ten. Ellington's inspiration for this song was his recent initiation into Freemasonry. He was a member of Social Lodge No. 1 of the Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia, Prince Hall Affiliation.
- April Ames - "Strike A Match" (1959)
- Rosemary Clooney – Out of This World (2000)
- Bobby Darin
- Frank Sinatra
- Johnnie Ray (1958)
- Connie Francis (1958)
- Oscar Alemán, guitarist (1946)
- Billy Eckstine recorded the song many times: with Billy May, with Quincy Jones, with Bobby Tucker and with Gil Askey.
- In 1986 Australian recording artist Kate Ceberano recorded a version for her album Kate Ceberano and her Septet.
- Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra. Vocal: Joya Sherrill Recorded in New York City on December 1, 1944. It was released by RCA Victor Records as catalogue number 20-1618
- Ella and Basie!, a 1963 Verve release with arrangements by Quincy Jones.
- Clare Fischer – Songs for Rainy Day Lovers (1967)
- Peggy Lee – Spotlight on Peggy Lee (1995)
- Gerry Mulligan - Gerry Mulligan with Chet Baker (1955)
- Sutton Foster recorded a version for her album Wish
- The Hi-Lo's – A Musical Thrill (2006)
- The Ink Spots featuring Bill Kenny & Ella Fitzgerald
- Chelsea Krombach performed the song for her debut album Look for the Silver Lining
- The SuperJazz Big Band of Birmingham, Alabama, recorded the song on the CD UAB SuperJazz, Featuring Ellis Marsalis
- Michael Bublé
- Kelly Rowland
- Joe Jackson recorded a cover of the song for his Duke Ellington tribute album, "The Duke".
- Royce Campbell – Get Happy (2007)
- Mel Torme-- "At the Crescendo"
- Gilliland, John (1994). Pop Chronicles the 40s: The Lively Story of Pop Music in the 40s (audiobook). ISBN 978-1-55935-147-8. OCLC 31611854. Tape 1, side B.
- Smith, Kathleen E.R. God Bless America: Tin Pan Alley Goes to War. The University Press of Kentucky. p. 167. ISBN 0-8131-2256-2.
- "I'm Beginning to See the Light" at Jazz Standards
- RCA Victor Records in the 20-1500 to 20-1999 series