In Too Deep (Genesis song)
|"In Too Deep"|
|Single by Genesis|
|from the album Invisible Touch|
|B-side||"Do the Neurotic"|
18 August 1986 (UK)|
18 January 1987 (U.S.)
|Format||U.S.: 7", UK: 7", 12"|
|Recorded||The Farm, Surrey; 1985–1986|
|Genesis singles chronology|
|Invisible Touch track listing|
"In Too Deep" is the fourth track on the 1986 Genesis album Invisible Touch. It was released as the second single from the LP in the UK and the fourth single in the US. The single was a huge success in America during the summer of 1987; it reached the number three spot on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, and the number one spot on the Adult Contemporary chart. The song was only performed live during the 1986 North American legs during the Genesis 1986/1987 Invisible Touch world tour. A 1987 performance of the song was included on the 1992 live album The Shorts.
"In Too Deep" is featured in the 2000 American crime/thriller American Psycho, as well as in the 1986 British neo-noir film Mona Lisa; for the latter the song won the "Most Performed Song from a Film" award at the BMI Film & TV Awards in 1988.
The lyric was written by Phil Collins after he was approached to write a song for the soundtrack of the movie Mona Lisa. The music is credited to the entire band in common with all the tracks on Invisible Touch.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||15|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||15|
|Canada Adult Contemporary (RPM)||2|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||55|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||30|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||19|
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||1|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||25|
The music video for the song features the three band members playing on a minimalist set composed of steps and platforms. Tony Banks plays a grand piano, although the recording itself is mainly electric, while Mike Rutherford mime acoustic guitar and Phil Collins vocals and drums.
In the 2000 American psychological thriller film American Psycho, Patrick Bateman (played by Christian Bale) describes the song as "the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. The lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock."
- Tony Banks: keyboards
- Phil Collins: vocals, drums, percussion
- Mike Rutherford: bass guitar, acoustic & electric guitars
- "Collins, Phil 1951–". Contemporary Theatre, Film and Television (2005). Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "AUSTRALIAN (ARIA/DAVID KENT) WEEKLY SINGLE CHRTS FROM 1987". Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0829." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 4 April.
- "Top RPM Adult Contemporary: Issue 0839." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 4 April.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Genesis – In Too Deep". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 4 April.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – In Too Deep". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 4 April.
- "Charts.org.nz – Genesis – In Too Deep". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 4 April.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 4 April.
- "Genesis Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 4 April.
- "Genesis Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved 4 April.
- "Genesis Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved 4 April.
- "American Psycho musical and Phil Collins's perfectly vacuous music". The Guardian. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "American Psycho Quotes". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 8 October 2013.