|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Sheffield|
Nicholls at his investiture as Prelate of the Venerable Order of St John in 2014
|Diocese||Diocese of Sheffield|
|In office||1997–16 July 2008|
|Other posts||Prelate of the Venerable Order of Saint John
25 June 2007–present
Bishop of Lancaster
|Consecration||25 April 1990|
|Born||16 July 1943|
, Nellie Nicholls
|Spouse||Judith Dagnall (m. 1969)|
|Children||2 sons, 2 daughters|
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Nicholls is the son of James and Nellie Nicholls and was educated in Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School, King's College, London and St Boniface College, Warminster. He is currently the Chaplain of the Church Lads' and Church Girls' Brigade.
Nicholls was curate of St Clement with St Cyprian, Salford from 1967 to 1969, curate of All Saints and Martyrs, Manchester from 1969 to 1972, and vicar from 1972 to 1978. Between 1978 and 1983, he was director of pastoral studies at the College of the Resurrection, Mirfield and between 1983 and 1990 a residential canon of Manchester Cathedral. In 1990, he became suffragan Bishop of Lancaster, a post he held until 1997 when he was appointed 6th Bishop of Sheffield. He retired on his 65th birthday, 16 July 2008.
Nicholls has been married to Judith Dagnall since 1969; they have two sons and two daughters.
- Order of St John – Annual Report & Accounts 2007
- "Bishop of Sheffield – Diocese of Sheffield". Archived from the original on 12 May 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- House of Lords (3 April 2003). "Announcement of his introduction at the House Lords". minutes of proceedings. Retrieved 26 November 2006.
- "DodOnline". Retrieved 26 November 2006.
- "Profle when Bishop of Sheffield". Archived from the original on 18 December 2007. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|