Jaffna Hindu College
|Jaffna Hindu College
யாழ்ப்பாணம் இந்துக் கல்லூரி
Jaffna Hindu College
Jaffna, Jaffna District, Northern Province, 40000
|School type||Public national 1AB|
|School district||Jaffna Education Zone|
|Authority||Ministry of Education|
|Principal||Mr. Iyampillai Thayanandarajah|
2010 January annular solar eclipse: Jaffna Hindu College students gazing at the sun
Jaffna Hindu College (Tamil: யாழ்ப்பாணம் இந்துக் கல்லூரி Yāḻppāṇam Intuk Kallūri, JHC) is a national school in Jaffna, Sri Lanka. It was founded in 1886 by a group of Hindu people who wanted an English language alternative to the Christian missionary schools.
In the late 19th century all the English language schools in the area were run by Christian missionaries. In 1886 Williams Nevins Muthukumaru Sithamparapillai founded The Native Town High School. The school encountered financial problems and in 1889 it was taken over by S. Nagalingam who re-located it to Vananarponnai. The school was renamed Nagalingam Town High School. In 1890 the school was handed over to the Jaffna Saiva (Samaya) Paripalana Sabhai. The school was moved to its present site and renamed The Hindu High School.
- 1890-92 S. Godman Appapillai
- 1892-09 Nevins Selvadurai
- 1910-13 A. Shiva Rao
- 1913-14 B. Sanjiva Rao
- 1914-26 Nevins Selvadurai
- 1926-27 W. A. Troupe
- 1927-28 M. Sabarathnasinghe
- 1928-33 V. R. Venkataramanan
- 1933-52 A. Cumaraswamy
- 1953-61 V. M. Asaipillai
- 1962-64 C. Sabaratnam
- 1964-71 N. Sabaratnam
- 1971 M. Karthigesan
- 1971-75 E. Sabalingam
- 1975-84 P. S. Kumaraswamy
- 1984-90 S. Ponnampalam
- 1990-91 K. S. Kugathasan
- 1991-96 A. Panchalingam
- 1996-05 A. Srikumaran
- 2005-14 V. Ganesarajah
- 2014 - I. Thayanandarajah
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (January 2017)|
- K. Aiyadurai - Chairman of Jaffna Urban Council
- Eliathamby Ambikairajah - Head of the School of Electrical Engineering & Telecommunications, University of New South Wales
- P. Ayngaranesan - Provincial Minister of Agriculture
- A. M. A. Azeez - Member of the Senate, Assistant Government Agent, Principal of Zahira College, Colombo
- C. Balasingham - Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health
- N. Balasubramaniam - ambassador
- P. Balasundarampillai - Vice-Chancellor of the University of Jaffna
- C. Coomaraswamy - Member of the Senate, High Commissioner, Government Agent
- A. Cumarswamy - Principal of Jaffna Hindu College
- Yogendra Duraiswamy - diplomat
- B. Gajatheepan - Member of the Northern Provincial Council for Jaffna District
- T. T. Jayaratnam - Principal of Mahajana College, Tellippalai
- Sri Ranga Jeyaratnam - Member of Parliament for Nuwara Eliya District and TV broadcaster
- K. Kailasapathy - President of the Jaffna Campus of the University of Sri Lanka
- V. Kailasapillai - Deputy Chairman of John Keells Holdings
- P. Kanagasabapathy - Dean of the Science Faculty, Jaffna Campus of the University of Sri Lanka
- R. Kanagasuntheram - Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Jaffna
- P. Kandiah - Member of Parliament for Point Pedro
- V. A. Kandiah - Member of Parliament for Kayts
- Nalliah Kumaraguruparan - Member of the Western Provincial Council for Colombo District
- S. Mahadevan - co-founder of Capital Maharaja
- S. Nadesan - Member of the Senate, leading lawyer
- S. Nagarajah - Mayor of Jaffna
- K. S. Naguleswaran - Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- K. Navaratnam - Member of Parliament for Jaffna District
- K. V. Navaratnam - District Judge
- Kandiah Neelakandan - lawyer
- K. Palakidnar - President of the Court of Appeal
- V. M. Panchalingam - Government Agent for Jaffna District
- K. Parameswaran - Secretary of Ministry of Hindu Affairs
- Shiva Pasupati - Attorney General of Sri Lanka
- Pottu Amman (Shanmugalingam Sivashankar ) - senior member of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam
- S. Rajandram - co-founder of Capital Maharaja
- Vettivelu Sabanayagam - Deputy Director General of Education
- E. Saravanapavan - Member of Parliament for Jaffna District
- S. Selvanayagam - Head of the Department of Geography, University of Jaffna
- Shankar (Vaithilingam Sornalingam) - senior member of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam
- Suppiah Sharvananda - Chief Justice of Sri Lanka, Governor of the Western Province
- R. Sivagurunathan - Editor-in-Chief of Thinakaran
- Pon Sivakumaran - Militant
- Siva Sivananthan - Director of the Microphysics Laboratory, University of Illinois at Chicago
- T. Sivapragasapillai - Professor of Engineering
- V. Sivasubramaniam - Judge, Supreme Court of Ceylon
- T. Somasekaram - Surveyor General of Sri Lanka
- M. Srikantha - Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture & Lands and Ministry of Irrigation & Power
- K. Sripavan - Chief Justice of Sri Lanka
- S. Sritharan - Member of Parliament for Jaffna District
- K. C. Thangarajah - co-founder of Eelanadu, Chairman of Paper Mills Corporation
- K. Thavalingam - Surveyor General of Sri Lanka
- S. Thilainadaraja - Additional Secretary
- Thileepan (Rasaiah Parthipan) - member of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam who died while on hunger strike
- T. S. Thurairajah - Mayor of Jaffna
- N. A. Vaithialingam - Chief Engineer of Ceylon Government Railway
- C. Vanniasingam - Member of Parliament for Kopay, co-founder of the Illankai Tamil Arasu Kachchi (Federal Party)
- Raja Viswanathan - Mayor of Jaffna
- N. Vithyatharan - editor of Uthayan
- Manickam Yogeswaran - musician
- Schools Basic Data as at 01.10.2010. Northern Provincial Council. 2010.
- "Province - Northern" (PDF). Schools Having Bilingual Education Programme. Ministry of Education.
- "College History". Jaffna Hindu College.
- Mike, Tony (4 March 2012). "Fifth Battle of the Hindus drawn". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka).
- "Jaffna's Battle of the Hindus today". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 30 April 2010.
- "Past Principals". Jaffna Hindu College.
- Manickavasagar, K. (2 January 2007). "Jaffna Central College Old Boys' Association centenary". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam 1997, pp. 188-189.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 46.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 171.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 167.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 2.
- "Our Pioneer Old Boy, Prof Ambikairajah, Director of Academic Studies at the University of New South Wales, Sydney". jaffnahindu.org. 14 July 2008.
- "Hindu old boys P.Ayngaranesan and B.Gajatheepan elected to NPC". jaffnahindu.org. 24 September 2013.
- Furkhan, M. T. A. (4 October 2011). "Dr. A M A Azeez - A Muslim Legend". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka).
- Ratnapuli, Rajindra C. (21 November 2010). "Dr. A.M.A. Azeez – He Placed Service Before Self". The Sunday Leader.
- Sirivardana, Susil (10 January 2010). "Dr. A. M. A. Azeez - Iconic Oration Builder". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam 1997, p. 21.
- Poolokasingham, C. S. (5 October 2008). "The Spirit of Pluralistic Learning in Jaffna". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam 1997, p. 42.
- Dewaraja, Lorna (17 June 2004). "Yogendra Duraiswamy - he served the cause of ethnic peace". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Pulolyooran, Maylai (1 July 2001). "Crusader against injustice". Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam 1997, p. 62.
- "New faces in Parliament" (PDF). The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). 18 April 2010.
- R.S. Perinbanayagam, Sachi Sri Kantha. "Prof. K Kailasapathy Evaluated with his peers". Ilankai Tamil Sangam.
- Neelakandan, Kandiah (5 April 2009). "Mr. V. Kailasapillai – 'Manitha Neyar' cum Financial Wizard". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam 1997, pp. 66–67.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 72.
- Arumugam 1997, pp. 73–74.
- Nakkawita, Wijitha (22 February 2009). "A man who belonged to the whole country". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam 1997, p. 78.
- Arumugam 1997, pp. 78–79.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 87.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 94.
- "Reference to Death of late Mr. S. Nadesan, Queens Counsel made in Sri Lanka Supreme Court in Ceremonial sitting". Tamil Nation.
- "Former Mayor of Jaffna passes away". TamilNet. 9 May 2008.
- "TGTE member from New Zealand speaks on Vaddukkoaddai Resolution". TamilNet. 10 May 2010.
- de Silva, W. P. P.; Ferdinando, T. C. L. 9th Parliament of Sri Lanka (PDF). Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Limited. pp. 265–266.
- Arumugam 1997, pp. 119–120.
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvathamby (22 July 2011). "Justice Palakidnar was a mansion of noble thoughts". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Arumugam 1997, pp. 126–127.
- "Jaffna Hindu College OBA to honour distinguished Old Boys on Sunday". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 13 September 2003.
- Hettiarachchi, Kumudini (11 November 2012). "Sivagurunathan of Ananda: He came from Jaffna". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- Maneckshaw (23 April 2013). "The house that became the Uthayan office". Ceylon Today.
- Jeyaraj, D. B. S. (11 September 2009). ""Pottu Amman" and the Intelligence Division of the LTTE". dbsjeyaraj.com.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 150.
- Kotelawala, Himal (18 April 2010). "New Faces in Parliament" (PDF). The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka). p. 8.
- The Glowing Tributes Paid to Late Prof. S. Selvanayagam.
- Subramaniam, V. (22 May 2005). "A beacon to family, friends". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (10 January 2013). "Former Chief Justice S. Sharvananda's death anniversary today: Now, HE was Chief Justice!". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Palakidnar, Ananth (13 January 2007). "Sharvananda funeral today in Sydney". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- "Former Chief Justice Sharvananda is dead". The Nation (Sri Lanka). 28 January 2007.
- "Veteran journalist Siva dies". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 11 August 2003.
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (7 September 2012). "Kalasuri R. Sivagurunathan: A veteran journalist". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Swamy, M. R. Narayan (1995). Tigers of Lanka From Boys to Guerrillas. pp. 28–29.
- Sathiyaseelan, P. (6 March 2015). "Eelam Liberation Struggle: Sathiyaseelan Recalls 01". Tamil Diplomat.
- "White House honoree pays tribute to his hometown in Jaffna". TamilNet. 2 June 2013.
- "Makes his mark in the US". Ceylon Today. 31 May 2013.
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (12 March 2003). "Justice V. Sivasubramaniam remembered : he was an ornament to the Judiciary". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (23 March 2003). "Justice Sivasubramaniam maintained a high degree of judicial statesmanship". The Island, Sri Lanka.
- Arumugam 1997, pp. 205–206.
- Somasekaram, T. (23 March 2004). "http://www.island.lk/2004/03/23/featur02.html". The Island (Sri Lanka). External link in
- Somasekaram, T. (6 April 2002). "Reconditioning the public service". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- Maniccavasagar, Chelvatamby (16 March 2005). "Justice Sripavan to be felicitated". Daily News (Sri Lanka).
- "K. Sri Pavan sworn in as new Chief Justice". The Nation (Sri Lanka). 30 January 2015.
- Balachandran, P. K. (29 January 2015). "Sripavan Second Tamil to Become Lankan Chief Justice". The New Indian Express.
- "Jaffna Hindu celebrated Children's Day, MP Sritharan was the chief guest". Jaffna Hindu College. 1 November 2012.
- "Colombo OBA - Executive Committee 2011". jaffnahindu.org.
- "Kanagaratnam Thavalingam". ekerni.com.
- "Thileepan's 16th death anniversary to be commemorated". TamilNet. 4 September 2003.
- Mehta, Raj K. (2010). Lost Victory: The Rise & Fall of LTTE Supremo, V. Prabhakaran. Pentagon Press. p. 176. ISBN 978-81-8274-443-1.
- Wijerathna, Arunadale; Kulasuriya, Madhawa (26 April 2015). "Was Thileepan killed to make him a martyr?". Ceylon Today.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 238.
- Arumugam 1997, p. 242.
- "Mr. N. Vithyatharan, an acclaimed Tamil Journalist produced by Jaffna Hindu". jaffnahindu.org. 16 June 2010.
- Arumugam, S. (1997). Dictionary of Biography of the Tamils of Ceylon.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jaffna Hindu College.|