Jake Lloyd in 2007
|Born||Jake Matthew Lloyd
March 5, 1989
Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.
|Other names||Jake Broadbent
|Years active||1996–2002 (acting)|
Jake Matthew Lloyd (born March 5, 1989), also known as Jake Broadbent, is an American current entrepreneur and former actor who gained worldwide fame when he was chosen by George Lucas to play the young Anakin Skywalker in the 1999 film Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, the first film in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. He reprised this role in five subsequent Star Wars video games.
In 1996, Lloyd began his acting career playing Jimmy Sweet in 4 episodes of ER. Afterwards, he was cast as Jake Warren in Unhook the Stars. He got his big break playing Jamie Langston in Jingle All The Way. He also played Mark Armstrong in Apollo 11.
Lloyd gained worldwide fame when he was chosen by George Lucas to play the young Anakin Skywalker in the 1999 film Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, the first film in the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
After portraying Anakin in a chain of related video games, Lloyd retired from acting in 2001, citing bullying on the part of classmates and the stress of doing up to 60 interviews a day as his reasons for doing so. Lloyd stated in a 2012 interview that being in The Phantom Menace ruined his childhood and his acting career, and that he destroyed all of his Star Wars memorabilia out of anger toward the film.
Post-Star Wars work
He continues to make appearances at sci-fi and comic-book festivals. In 2012 he announced he was directing a documentary highlighting the Tibetan refugees in India, who are attempting to escape the persecution of the Chinese.
He was commissioned in 2012 to create a promo for singer Mallory Low's song, and Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones actor Daniel Logan, who played young Boba Fett in that movie, was cast as the star in his video.
On June 17, 2015, Lloyd (going by the name Jake Broadbent) was arrested for reckless driving, driving without a license, and resisting arrest. Lloyd's mother, Lisa, stated that Lloyd suffers from schizophrenia, and that the incident was brought on by his having failed to take his medication. She added that Lloyd attacked her at her home in Indianapolis the previous March 26, also due to his struggles with that condition.
|1996||Unhook the Stars||J.J.|
|Jingle All the Way||Jamie Langston|
|Apollo 11||Mark Armstrong|
|1998||The Pretender||Young Angelo|
|1999||Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace||Anakin Skywalker||Lead role
Young Artist Award for Best Supporting Actor Ten Years or Younger
Nominated–Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actor
|2005||Madison||Mike McCormick||shot in 2000, release delayed until 2005|
|1999||Star Wars Episode I: Racer||Anakin Skywalker||Main role|
|2000||Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles||Anakin Skywalker||voice|
|2001||Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds||Anakin Skywalker (Episode 1)||voice|
|Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing||Anakin Skywalker|
|2002||Star Wars Racer Revenge||Anakin Skywalker (Episode 1)||voice|
|1996||ER||Jimmy Sweet||"Dead of Winter" (Season 2, Episode 11)
"The Right Thing" (Season 2, Episode 14)
"A Shift in the Night" (Season 2, Episode 18)
"Take These Broken Wings" (Season 2, Episode 21)
|1996||The Rosie O'Donnell Show||as himself|
|1999||MTV Movie Awards||as himself|
|1999||The Tonight Show with Jay Leno||as himself|
- Hetter, Katya (Jun 22, 2015). "'Star Wars' actor Jake Broadbent arrested in South Carolina". CNN. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- "Jake Lloyd". Celebrity Net Worth. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Jake Lloyd Biography (1989–)". Film Reference. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Star Wars: Biography – Jake Lloyd". StarWars.com. Archived from the original on February 13, 2008. Retrieved December 31, 2008.
- "Mixed blessings of child stars". The Hindu. July 3, 2004.
- Anisiobi, J.J. (March 5, 2012). "Anakin Skywalker actor Jake Lloyd: 'Star Wars fame turned my life into a living hell'". Daily Mail.
- "". Associated Press/The Indianapolis Star. June 22, 2015.
- "Actor who played Anakin Skywalker as child swears off 'Star Wars' for good" NBC News. March 9, 2012
- "Columbia College Chicago". CityTownInfo.com. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Jake Lloyd moves on from ‘Star Wars’ to pursue writing and directing". The Global Dispatch.
- "'Star Wars' Prequel Stars Jake Lloyd & Daniel Logan Teaming Up For Music Video".
- Broughton, Melissa (June 21, 2015). "‘Star Wars’ child star arrested after chase, crash in Colleton County". Post and Courier (Charleston, South Carolina). Retrieved June 21, 2015.
- Sacks, Ethan (June 23, 2015). "'Star Wars' star Jake Lloyd suffers from schizophrenia, once attacked mom: report". Daily News (New York).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jake Lloyd.|
- Jake Lloyd at the Internet Movie Database
- Jake Lloyd Star Wars biography at StarWars.com
- Jake Lloyd – 10 years After Ep One – with Sci Fi Pi at the Wayback Machine (archived July 24, 2009)
- The Force Is Not With Him: Anakin Skywalker 10 Years Later at the Wayback Machine (archived July 28, 2009)
|Anakin Skywalker actor