Lloyd in August 2007
March 5, 1989 |
Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.
|Residence||Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.|
|Other names||Jake Broadbent|
Jake Matthew Lloyd (born March 5, 1989) is an American former actor who played young Anakin Skywalker in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, the first in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. He reprised this role in five subsequent Star Wars video games.
Jake Matthew Lloyd was born in Fort Collins, Colorado, the son of EMT William "Bill" Lloyd and entertainment agent Lisa Riley. He attended Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana and graduated from there in 2007.
Lloyd began his acting career in 1996, playing Jimmy Sweet in 4 episodes of ER. He was then cast as Jake Warren in Unhook the Stars. He got his big break playing Jamie Langston in Jingle All the Way. He also played Mark Armstrong in Apollo 11. Lloyd gained worldwide fame when he was chosen by George Lucas to play the young Anakin Skywalker in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, the first film in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Despite the film's box office success, Lloyd's performance was heavily criticized and he was nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actor, though he lost the award to his co-star Ahmed Best.
After portraying Anakin in a chain of related video games, Lloyd retired from acting in 2001, citing bullying on the part of classmates and the stress of doing up to 60 interviews a day as his reasons for doing so.
Post-Star Wars work
After retiring from acting in 2001, Lloyd continued to make appearances at sci-fi and comic-book festivals. In 2012, he announced he was directing a documentary highlighting the Tibetan refugees in India, who are attempting to escape persecution by the Chinese government.
Lloyd was commissioned in 2012 to create a promo for singer Mallory Low's song, and Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones actor Daniel Logan, who played young Boba Fett in that film, was cast as the star in his video.
On June 17, 2015, Lloyd (now going by the name "Jake Broadbent") was arrested for reckless driving, driving without a license, and resisting arrest. He was moved from jail to a psychiatric facility after he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Lloyd currently resides in California.
|1996||Unhook the Stars||J.J.|
|1996||Jingle All the Way||Jamie Langston|
|1996||Apollo 11||Mark Armstrong||Television film|
|1999||Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace||Anakin Skywalker||Young Artist Award for Best Supporting Actor Ten Years or Younger
Nominated–Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actor
|2005||Madison||Mike McCormick||Shot in 2000|
|1996||ER||Jimmy Sweet||4 episodes|
|1996–1999||The Pretender||Ronnie Collins
Young Angelo / Timmy
|1999||Star Wars Episode I: Racer||Anakin Skywalker||Voice|
|2000||Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles||Anakin Skywalker||Voice|
|2001||Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds||Anakin Skywalker||Voice|
|2001||Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing||Anakin Skywalker||Voice|
|2002||Star Wars Racer Revenge||Anakin Skywalker||Voice|
- Hetter, Katya (Jun 22, 2015). "'Star Wars' actor Jake Broadbent arrested in South Carolina". CNN. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- "Jake Lloyd Biography (1989–)". Film Reference. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Star Wars: Biography – Jake Lloyd". StarWars.com. Archived from the original on February 13, 2008. Retrieved December 31, 2008.
- "Mixed blessings of child stars". The Hindu. July 3, 2004.
- "". Associated Press/The Indianapolis Star. June 22, 2015.
- Anisiobi, J.J. (March 5, 2012). "Anakin Skywalker actor Jake Lloyd: 'Star Wars fame turned my life into a living hell'". Daily Mail.
- "Actor who played Anakin Skywalker as child swears off 'Star Wars' for good" NBC News. March 9, 2012
- "Jake Lloyd moves on from 'Star Wars' to pursue writing and directing". The Global Dispatch.
- "'Star Wars' Prequel Stars Jake Lloyd & Daniel Logan Teaming Up For Music Video".
- "Columbia College Chicago". CityTownInfo.com. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Rothman, Michael (June 22, 2015). "Former 'Star Wars' Child Star Jake Lloyd Arrested for Reckless Driving, Police Say". ABC News.
- Rosen, Christopher (June 21, 2015). "Jake Lloyd arrested: Star Wars child star led police on high-speed chase in South Carolina". EW.
The former child star told officers his name was Jake Broadbent, and was charged with failing to stop for officers, resisting arrest, reckless driving and driving without a license.
- Broughton, Melissa (June 21, 2015). "'Star Wars' child star arrested after chase, crash in Colleton County". Post and Courier. Charleston, South Carolina. Retrieved June 21, 2015.
- French, Megan (April 11, 2016). "'Star Wars' Actor Jake Lloyd Moved From Jail to Psychiatric Facility for Schizophrenia: Report". US Magazine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jake Lloyd.|
- Jake Lloyd on IMDb
- Jake Lloyd Star Wars biography at StarWars.com
- Jake Lloyd – 10 years After Ep One – with Sci Fi Pi at the Wayback Machine (archived July 24, 2009)
- The Force Is Not With Him: Anakin Skywalker 10 Years Later at the Wayback Machine (archived July 28, 2009)