James Clements Municipal Airport
|James Clements Municipal Airport|
|IATA: none – ICAO: none – FAA LID: 3CM|
|Serves||Bay City, Michigan|
|Elevation AMSL||585 ft / 178 m|
James Clements Municipal Airport (FAA LID: 3CM) is a city owned, public use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) south of the central business district of Bay City, in Bay County, Michigan, United States. It is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017–2021, in which it is categorized as a local general aviation facility. It is also a seaplane base with landing areas on the Saginaw River, adjacent to the airport.
The airport was dedicated in 1930 in commemoration of Bay City pilots who gave their lives for their country in military service. The Georgian Revival Administration Building became part of to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, and houses a collection of photographs of those pilots.
It is home port for local chapters of the Civil Air Patrol and the Experimental Aircraft Association. Also centered there is the Valley Aero Club (which celebrates Fathers' Day with an annual fly-in breakfast in early June; and also hosts an air show in August.).
Facilities and aircraft
James Clements Municipal Airport covers an area of 266 acres (108 ha) at an elevation of 585 feet (178 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 18/36 is 3,798 by 75 feet (1,158 x 23 m) and 5/23 is 2,600 by 75 feet (792 x 23 m). It also has three seaplane landing areas on water: 9W/27W is 3,500 by 500 feet (1,067 x 152 m); 13W/31W is 2,600 by 400 feet (792 x 122 m); 18W/36W is 3,500 by 500 feet (1,067 x 152 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2010, the airport had 9,006 general aviation aircraft operations, an average of 24 per day. At that time there were 57 aircraft based at this airport: 89% single-engine, 5% multi-engine, 2% helicopter, and 4% ultralight.
- FAA Airport Master Record for 3CM ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Clements, James, Airport Administration Building". State of Michigan. 2009. Retrieved June 26, 2010.
- "List of NPIAS Airports" (PDF). FAA.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Michigan Travel, James Clements Airport.
- "Valley Aero Club Holds Annual 'Fly-In Breakfast'". MyBayCity.com. June 3, 2007.
- Airport page at the Bay City website
- "Bay City, James Clements (3CM)" (PDF). at the Michigan DOT Airport Directory
- Aerial image as of April 1998 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for 3CM, effective November 10, 2016
- Resources for this airport: