31 March 1987
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
Janani Iyer is an Indian actress who predominantly appears in Tamil and Malayalam movies. She started her modelling career during her studies and appeared in over 150 television advertisements before getting signed by director Bala to essay the lead female role in the Tamil feature film Avan Ivan (2011). She has since appeared in notable films including the crime thriller Thegidi (2014) and the police drama, 7th Day (2014).
Janani Iyer was born in Kathivakkam in Chennai to a Tamil Brahmin family. She did her schooling at DAV Gopalapuram and graduated with a degree in computer science at Saveetha Engineering College. After her undergraduate studies, she got seat in Wollongong University, Australia. She dropped her studies plan and became a part of the cast of Avan Ivan. 
After her studies, she ventured into modeling and appeared in over 150 regional television advertisements. However, Janani stated that she had always dreamt of becoming an actress, considering acting to be her "passion in life". During her modelling career, she appeared in cameo roles as a model in Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru (2009) and as an assistant director to K. S. Ravikumar in Gautham Menon's Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa (2010). She had earlier signed Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa to play the second lead actress, but her role was later shot featuring Samantha. In early 2010, following the recommendation of director A. L. Vijay, Janani went to audition for director Bala, who was looking for a Tamil-speaking newcomer for the lead female character for his film project, Avan Ivan (2011). Upon seeing her audition, Bala signed her for the role, saying he felt that she "fits into the role". The comedy-drama film featured Iyer in the role of an innocent police constable opposite Vishal, and her performance won her positive reviews from critics. Her next release was Paagan (2013), in which she was paired opposite Srikanth. A critic from Sify wrote, "Janani Iyer looks beautiful and it is a relief to watch a Tamil girl speaking in her own voice." She also made her debut in Malayalam cinema with 3 Dots, though both films did not perform well commercially.
In 2014, she appeared alongside Ashok Selvan in the crime thriller Thegidi, which won positive reviews and became a surprise success at the box office. A critic from IndiaGlitz.com noted "Janani Iyer is sweet and plays her part perfectly as Madhu the innocent girl". While waiting for better offers from the Tamil film industry, she prioritised working on Malayalam films and notably starred in films such as 7th Day (2014) opposite Prithviraj and Koothara (2014) alongside Mohanlal and Bharath. She also featured opposite actor Asif Ali in successive ventures, Mosayile Kuthira Meenukal (2014) and Ithu Thaanda Police (2016). During the period, a further Malayalam film, Edison Photos opposite Nivin Pauly was cancelled.
Janani made a return to Tamil films in 2017 by featuring in the mystery film Adhe Kangal and the horror comedy Balloon. The following year, the long-delayed Vidhi Madhi Ultaa (2018) had a theatrical release, but went unnoticed at the box office. In 2018, she appeared on the Tamil television reality show Bigg Boss Tamil 2 hosted by Kamal Haasan, which is telecasted on Star Vijay.
|2009||Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru||Commercial model||Tamil||Uncredited role|
|2010||Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa||Assistant director||Tamil||Uncredited role|
|2014||Mosayile Kuthira Meenukal||Deena||Malayalam|
|2016||Ithu Thaanda Police||Niya Menon||Malayalam|
|2016||Ma Chu Ka||Nivedita Haran||Malayalam|
|2018||Vidhi Madhi Ultaa||Divya||Tamil|
|2018||Bigg Boss Tamil 2||Star Vijay||Contestant|
- "I'm God's favourite child: Janani Iyer". The Times of India. 25 February 2011.
- "Bala's new Tamil heroine!". Moviebuzz. Sify.com. 31 January 2010. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- "Janani Iyer- Bala's new heroine". Indiaglitz.com. 8 February 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- THe hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/luck-by-chance/article3436325.ece. Missing or empty
- "A dream start for Janani Iyer". The Times of India. 4 February 2010.
- "Srikanth – Janani Iyer in 'Paagan'". IndiaGlitz. 29 August 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Paagan Movie Review". Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "Janani's journey begins here". Deccan Chronicle. 28 November 2012. Archived from the original on 12 November 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Thegidi Movie Review". 28 February 2014.
- "Prithviraj to play a middle-aged cop! – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Gayathry (12 December 2013). "Andrea Jeremiah Says No To Asif Ali! – Oneindia Entertainment". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- Lee, Dharmik (2018-06-17). "பிக்பாஸ் போட்டியாளரான பாலா பட கதாநாயகி!". Vikatan (in Tamil). Retrieved 17 June 2018.