||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Narayana Thevan patti, Theni, Tamil Nadu, India
|Occupation||director, screenwriter, film producer|
Bala (Tamil: பாலா) is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and producer, working in Tamil cinema. Bala is widely acclaimed for "revolutionizing Tamil cinema" through his realistic, dark and disturbing depiction of the working class on celluloid screen. He has received several awards and recognition for his work, including the National Film Award for Best Director for his fourth feature film Naan Kadavul (2009).
Bala made his directorial debut with Sethu in 1999, that gave a break to Vikram, the film's lead actor, who was also struggling in the Tamil film industry for almost a decade without a hit and recognition. More than 60 distributors saw the film and hesistated to screen it because of its tragic ending. The film was released on a low profile without any advertisement but after the first days the film started running to packed houses just through 'word of mouth'. The film was said to have initiated a 'new wave' as it received critical acclaim and became a hit. Its success led to remakes in Kannada (Huchcha), Telugu (Seshu) and Hindi (Tere Naam) languages.
|1999||Sethu||N||National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil
Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Director
Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil
|2001||Nandha||N||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil|
|2003||Pithamagan||N||Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil|
|2009||Naan Kadavul||N||National Film Award for Best Direction
Vijay Award for Best Director
Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Director – Tamil
- Bala: Man of the moment – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (25 January 2010). Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- Naan Kadavul fever begins worldwide!. Sify.com (3 February 2009). Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- Pyramid Saimira releasing Naan naduvil in USA – Tamil Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- Bala: Man of the moment – Times Of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (25 January 2010). Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- Bala's change for Soundarya – Behindwoods.com – Tamil Movies News – Bala Soundarya Rajinikant. Behindwoods.com (24 March 2009). Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- 56th National Film Awards Announced – Tamil Movie News. IndiaGlitz. Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- The Hindu : About maternal bond. Hinduonnet.com (19 October 2001). Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- 'You can't compare Bala to anyone else'. Specials.rediff.com (10 March 2009). Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- Exclusive: Bala on Naan Kadavul, God and faith. Specials.rediff.com (10 March 2009). Retrieved on 21 June 2011.
- Vilakudy, Rajaneesh (28 January 2010). "I never expected a film like Naan Kadavul from Tamil". Rediff.com. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bala|