During his 35-year-employment with ARD German Television, Tuck worked as investigative reporter, war correspondent in Iraq and Executive Producer of the daily network news magazine ARD-Tagesthemen. In 2001 he founded Airtime Dubai Ltd, an international media company based in United Arab Emirates, where he produces Arabic-language programming for 40 million viewers. As voice talent Tuck can be heard on international commercials and cinema trailers.
Jay Nelson Tuck, Jr. was born in Brooklyn, New York as son of newspaper journalist Jay Nelson Tuck. He attended Wayne High School in New Jersey and studied at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. There he shot his first student films, The Date and Short Circuit. During his studies he also held jobs as a student economist at the Federal Trade Commission, the US Treasury and as a social worker in Harlem. Tuck began his journalistic career at age twenty as radio reporter for WYSO, the college's FM station.
Civilian service in Europe
As a recognized conscientious objector during the Vietnam War he travelled to Germany, where he served his two-year civilian service in Hamburg. During this time, Tuck shot various amateur films, including Good Day with the British rock group Nektar.
ARD German Television
His German media career began in 1971 as a free-lancer for local TV at Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) in Hamburg, where he interviewed many entertainment personalities, including Joan Baez, Johnny Cash, Mick Jagger, Leonard Cohen and Andy Warhol. For thirty years, Jay Tuck was employed full-time by NDR and the ARD network, first as investigative reporter for NDR-Panorama and WDR-Monitor, later as war correspondent in both Gulf Wars.
In Germany, reportage from Jay Tuck appeared in Stern, Der Spiegel, Die Welt, Zeit-Dossier and Zeit-Magazin. Internationally he has written for Oggi (Italy), Panorama and Nieuwe Revu (Netherlands), Vi Menn (Norway), Le Point (France), Playboy (Germany) and Time Magazine (USA).
As book author,
- High-Tech Espionage, St. Martins Press, New York, ISBN 9780708832714
- The T Directorat, St. Martin's Press, New York, ISBN 9780312908355
- High-Tech Espionage, Sidgwick & Jackson, London ISBN 9780283992926
- Die Computer-Spione, Heyne Verlag, Munich, ISBN 3453020081
- La Guerre des Ordinateurs, Plon, Paris 2002, ISBN 9782259014212
- Il gioco della conchiglia (Computer Connection), Adnkronos libri, Rome 1985
- Ο πόλεμος των computers - Οι Πειρατές της Πληροφορικής (War of computers - Pirates of Information), Roes Publishing, Athens, 1986)
- Direktorat T, Kriminalistik-Verlag, Köln 2002, ISBN 9783783213874
Airtime Dubai and Al-Jazeera
After retiring from ARD German Television, Jay Tuck founded Airtime Dubai Ltd in the United Arab Emirates, an international media company with close contacts to the Arab broadcasters of the region. His weekly technology magazine Understanding Tomorrow (عن كثب) was on-air for five years and watched by 40 million viewers on Al-Jazeera (Arabic). Airtime Dubai also produces corporate image videos. Its music arm, Airtime Records, released the top-selling CD "Dubai Nights, Volume One".
Tuck has continued his work behind the microphone since his university days, as radio DJ on the north German FM station NDR-2 (“Die Jay Tuck Show”) and in commercials and cinema trailers. His voice can be heard on hundreds of TV commercials, and as the narrator of the Hollywood thriller Alone in the Dark starring Christian Slater.
- "Jay Nelson Tuck, 69, A Reporter and Editor - Obituary". NYTimes.com. 1985-11-25. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- JayTuck (2009-08-02). "The Date, [http://www.antiochcollege.edu/ Antioch College], Jay Tuck". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-07-15. External link in
- JayTuck (2009-08-03). "ShortCircuit by Jay Tuck". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Yellow Springs and The Arts - Film, TV & Video". Oneglobepublishing.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Good Day, A Film by Jay Tuck featuring Nektar". YouTube. 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Jay Tuck - Autobiography 4 - Television". YouTube. 2010-12-04. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Jay Tuck: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". Amazon.com. 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Speaker Page Jay Tuck, London Speaker Bureau bit.ly/Mmq4fu
- Jay Tuck. "Jay Tuck (Author of High-tech Espionage)". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Airtime Dubai - Home". Airtime.ae. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Gate - Newsletter of German Chamber of Commerce, July 2008, p. 35 http://airtime.ae/images/Press-GateEnglish.pdf
- ARABtainment LTD, Arab Business Portal (2012-06-15). "Airtime Dubai completes Image Video | ARABtainment.com - europäisch-arabisches BusinessPortal". ARABtainment.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Amazon Music"Dubai Nights 01: Various, Jürgen Spiegel: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Jay Tuck, Voice Talent, German agent Find-A-Voice "Jay Tuck, Sprecher bei". Find-a-voice.de. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Jay Tuck - Hamburg Issue 40, Showcase magazine". Production Paradise. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Home". FilmVoices. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "Sibirien-Marathon: Mit vereisten Augen über den Zielstrich - SPIEGEL ONLINE (German-language)". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 2012-07-15.