|Jeffrey N. Vinik|
Jeffrey Vinik in 2017
March 22, 1959 |
Deal, New Jersey, USA
|Alma mater||Duke University (B.S., Civil Engineering, 1981)
Harvard Business School (MBA, 1985)
|Known for||owner of professional sports teams|
Jeffrey N. Vinik (born March 22, 1959) is the current owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL) and the Tampa Bay Storm (AFL), as well as a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox (MLB). He served on the board of directors for Liverpool Football Club of the Premier League from 2010-2013.
Vinik was born to a Jewish family in Deal, New Jersey. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Duke University in 1981 with a bachelor of science in civil engineering. He also obtained an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1985.
Vinik managed the Fidelity Magellan Fund from 1992 to 1996, where he averaged 17% annual returns. After leaving Fidelity, he started hedge fund Vinik Asset Management, with partners including Michael Gordon (now President of Fenway Sports Group). He made investors 93.8% in his first 11 months and approximately 50% a year for the next three years. At the end of 2000, Vinik returned investors $4.2 billion and focused on managing his own portfolio. Vinik and his partners closed down the fund in December 2013, and distributed $9Bn in assets.
In 1998, Vinik and his wife, Penny, donated $1.25 million to endow a professorship at Duke's engineering school. The next year, they donated $5 million towards facilities at the engineering school. In 2012, they donated $10 million to create a challenge fund to endow associate and full professorships dedicated to addressing complex societal challenges. He donated $1.5 million to build a new Jewish Community Center in South Tampa.
- "Jeff Vinik Agrees to Purchase Tampa Bay Lightning". Tampa Bay Lightning. February 5, 2010.
- "Liverpool confirm 5 new directors". Anfield Online. November 13, 2010.
- St. Louis Jewish Light: "As Lightning vies for Stanley Cup, the team’s Jewish owner chats with JTA" Jun 8, 2015.
- Times Staff (February 5, 2010). "Who is Jeff Vinik?". Tampa Bay Times.
- "Stock Picker Vinik Turns to ETFs After Beating Market". Bloomberg Business. December 17, 2010.
- "Corporate Leadership in a Globalising Equity Market" Useem, Michael (1998) in Academy of Management Executive
- ESPN: "Vinik agrees to buy Lightning" by Pierre LeBrun February 5, 2010
- "Lightning (NHL) Owner, Vinik, Purchases Storm". Arena Football League. January 13, 2011. Archived from the original on March 31, 2012. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- Greg Pessin (January 11, 2000). "Investor donates to Pratt facilities". The Chronicle (Duke University).
- Times Staff (May 8, 2012). "Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik gives $10 million to Duke University". Tampa Bay Times.
- Jewish Tampa: "New JCC Project Garnering Significant Support" retrieved July 12, 2014 | "Jeff Vinik added, “We're excited to be a part of the creation of an additional JCC presence in Tampa, and we know this will be transformative for so many members of our community."
- Jewish Press of Pinellas County: "Bucs, Lightning owners lead donors for south Tampa Jewish Community Campus" January 17, 2014