This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cummings graduated magna cum laude from the University of Wyoming, Laramie and obtained his MD degree (with thesis) from the University of Washington, Seattle. He completed internship at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut and did his Neurology residency at Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts. Cummings had his specialty training in Behavioral Neurology at Boston University and pursued advanced studies in Neuropsychiatry and Neuropathology at the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases, Queen Square, London.
Jeffrey Cummings is Professor of Neurotherapeutics and Drug Development in the Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic; he is Director of the Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, Las Vegas, Nevada and Cleveland, Ohio. He was formerly the Augustus S. Rose Professor of Neurology and Professor of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA. He was the Director of the Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research at UCLA and Director of the Deane F. Johnson Center for Neurotherapeutics at UCLA.
Jeffrey Cummings is the originator/author of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory and owns the copyright of the NPI. In 2008, he defined the fronto-subcortical dementias.
- 2018 Bengt Winblad Lifetime Achievement Award in Alzheimer’s Disease Research1,3
- 2018 Leadership and Achievement Award from the International Society for CNS Drug Development (ISCDD)2,3
- 2010 Distinguished Scientist Award from the American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry.
- 2010 honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Thailand
- 2008 Ronald and Nancy Reagan Research Award from the National Alzheimer's Association
- 2008 Research Award from the John Douglas French Alzheimer's Research Foundation
- 2005 Henderson Award of the American Geriatric Society
- 2003 Srinivasan Orator award in Chennai, India