John O'Gaunt School
School Logo used since 2012
Photo of school showing Kennet Block and Entrance/Offices
|Headteacher||Mr Alan Henderson|
|Chair of Governors||Mr John Adey|
|Local authority||West Berkshire|
|DfE URN||110050 Tables|
|Houses||Avery Hall, Brunel Hall and Columbus Hall|
|Colours||Navy, Yellow and White
Opened in January 1963, the school is a fusion of 1960s decor and 1990s pre-fabricated buildings. The school gained Technology College status in 2003, and was renamed John O'Gaunt Community Technology College, before becoming John O'Gaunt School in 2012.
In the first half of 2014, the school suspended their upcoming sixth form intake for September 2014 due to dwindling student numbers, and intended to suspend the 2015 intake and beyond. For changes to intakes of 3 or more years, West Berkshire Council were required to hold a statutory consultation, which resulted in the Sixth Form being closed from August 2016 onwards. West Berkshire Council have indicated that should demand increase for a sixth form at the school in the future, that consideration would be given to reopening the sixth form.
On 19 August 1987, the school gained notoriety as the site of the denouement of the Hungerford massacre. Michael Robert Ryan made the then-empty school the site of his final stand and suicide, having killed 16 people and injured 15 others.
Ofsted and academic performance
In its 2012 Ofsted inspection the school was judged to be "Satisfactory", although many areas required improvement.
- Sarah Brinkley (2012–2015)
- Neil Spurdell (2009–2012)
- Lin Bartlett (1998–2008)
- Marcia Twelftree (1993–1997)
- Jeff Dawkins (1990–1993)
- Monica Darroch (1990)
- David Lee (1986–1989)
- Keith McClellan (1985–1986)
- David Lee (1975–1985)
- Norman Fox (1975)
- Rex Chesney (1963–1974)
Notable Former Students
- Adam Brown, actor, comedian and pantomime performer 
- Charlie Austin, Footballer for Queens Park Rangers
- "EduBase - John O'Gaunt School". education.gov.uk. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- Dr Hugh Pihlens. "Hungerford Virtual Museum". web.archive.org. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "West Berkshire Council - [ARCHIVED] Closure of the Sixth Form at John O'Gaunt School, Hungerford (31 August 2016) - Information". info.westberks.gov.uk. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "New John O'Gaunt School head is announced - News - Newbury Weekly News". newburytoday.co.uk. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Call that heralded an unexpected journey for Hungerford actor - News - Newbury Weekly News". newburytoday.co.uk. Retrieved 7 August 2016.