Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rupert Goold|
|Screenplay by||Tom Edge|
|Based on||End of the Rainbow|
by Peter Quilter
|Music by||Gabriel Yared|
|Cinematography||Ole Bratt Birkeland|
|Edited by||Melanie Ann Oliver|
Judy is a 2019 biographical drama film about the life of American actress and singer Judy Garland in 1969, as she arrives in London for a run of sell-out concerts at the Talk of the Town. Directed by Rupert Goold, it is an adaptation of the Olivier and Tony-nominated West End and Broadway play End of the Rainbow by Peter Quilter. The film stars Renée Zellweger as Garland, with Jessie Buckley, Finn Wittrock, Rufus Sewell and Michael Gambon in supporting roles.
The film had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival on 30 August 2019. It is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on 27 September 2019 and in the United Kingdom on 4 October 2019. The film received positive reviews, with Zellweger's performance singled out for praise, in addition to being the subject of Oscar buzz.
Set in 1969, when Judy Garland arrives in London for a five-week run of sell-out concerts.
- Renée Zellweger as Judy Garland
- Darci Shaw as teenaged Judy Garland
- Rufus Sewell as Sidney Luft
- Michael Gambon as Bernard Delfont
- Finn Wittrock as Mickey Deans
- Jessie Buckley as Rosalyn Wilder
- Bella Ramsey as Lorna Luft
- Royce Pierreson as Burt
- Arthur McBain as Askith
- John Dagleish as Lonnie Donegan
- Gemma-Leah Devereux as Liza Minnelli
- David Rubin as Noel
Judy had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival on 30 August 2019. It will also screen at the Toronto International Film Festival on 10 September 2019. The film will be distributed in the UK by Pathé, and in the U.S. by Roadside Attractions and LD Entertainment. The film will be released in the United States on 27 September 2019.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 87% based on 47 reviews, with an average rating of 6.9/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "Led by a deeply committed performance from Renée Zellweger, Judy captures the waning days of a beloved performer with clear-eyed compassion." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the film a score of 64 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Renee Zellweger to Play Judy Garland in London-Set 'Judy'". 23 October 2017.
- "Renee Zellweger to play Judy Garland on screen". 23 October 2017.
- "First Look: Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland in 'Judy' Biopic". 19 March 2018.
- Hammond, Pete (29 August 2019). "Telluride Film Festival: 'Ford V Ferrari', 'Judy', 'Motherless Brooklyn', Weinstein-Inspired Drama 'The Assistant' Among Premieres Headed To 46th Edition – Full List". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- "Telluride Program Guide" (PDF). Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- Lang, Brent (23 July 2019). "Toronto Film Festival: 'Joker,' 'Ford v Ferrari,' 'Hustlers' Among Big Premieres". Variety. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "'Judy' First Look: Renée Zellweger Becomes Judy Garland to Perform the Legend's Final Concerts". 19 March 2018.
- "First Look At Renée Zellweger As Judy Garland In Pathé, BBC Films Biopic". 19 March 2018.
- Hetrick, Adam (31 May 2018). "Renée Zellweger Judy Garland Biopic Will Be Distributed by LD Entertainment and Roadside Attractions". Playbill.
- "Judy (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- "Judy (2019)". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 19 September 2019.