|Born||Georgel Julio Arevalo Reyes
January 18, 1985
Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
|Labels||Cosmica Records, BMI|
|Associated acts||Chiquis, Anahi, Gloria Trevi|
|Website||Julio Reyes on Facebook|
Georgel Julio Arevalo Reyes-Rosas (born January 18, 1985), known professionally as Julio Reyes, is a Mexican singer, songwriter, musician, actor, voice coach and vocal producer. A graduate of Berklee College with a degree in vocal performance and composition, he is currently based in Los Angeles. After making it to the finals in the 2012 competition Tengo Talento, Mucho Talento on Estrella TV, later that year he released his debut album No Inventes on Sony Music Latin. The lead single "No Inventes" peaked at No. 40 on the Billboard Regional Mexican Songs Chart.
His music has been used in the soundtracks for shows such as Dos Hogares, and in 2014 he made his acting debut as the lead role in Pecado Mortal: Historias de Corrido, where he plays an assassin. In 2015, Reyes released a video and track titled "Me Canse De Rogarte," the first single of his upcoming album Region*Al*Ternativo. He has co-written songs for pop artists such as Chiquis, Gloria Trevi and Anahi, several of which charted prominently on Billboard.
Early life and education
Georgel Julio Arevalo Reyes was born on January 18, 1985 in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico. Inspired by the mariachi vocals of his mother, Georgina Reyes, at a young age, he and his brothers would often put on musical performances for their family. Reyes was also inspired to go into music by his grandfather, a musician and singer of Jalisco heritage. Reyes attended Berklee College in Boston, Massachusetts after winning a full music scholarship at age seventeen. After four years of practicing diverse genres such as jazz and soul and learning composition, production, music theory, and vocal performance, he moved to Los Angeles.
Early years (2010–2014)
In 2012 Reyes was a finalist at the talent competition Tengo Talento, Mucho Talento on Estrella TV as "Julio Arevalo." Afterwards, he released his original song "No Puedo Regresar" and attracted the attention of Sony Music. In August 2012, Sony Music Latin released Reyes' debut album No Inventes to favorable reviews in the United States and Mexico. The twelve songs were completed over a two-year time period, and the lead single "No Inventes" peaked at No. 40 on the Billboard Regional Mexican Songs Chart. "Recompense" was the second single from the album to chart. In September 2013, he performed at a Noche Bohemia showcase series in Encino, California.
In 2014, his original song "Sin Verguenza" was featured in the Televisa soap opera Dos Hogares. Also in 2014, Reyes made his acting debut as the title role in the film Pecado Mortal: Historias de Corrido, where he plays an assassin. The show debuted on January 2014 on the Fox channel Mundo, and was distributed by Cine Latino. His track "Sin Verguenza" was used as the main movie theme. Afterwards, he performed a BMI showcase with other regional Mexican performers.
Recent projects (2015)
|Julio Reyes – "No Inventes" Music Video (Aug 4, 2012)|
|Julio Reyes – "Me Canse De Rogarte" Music Video (May 25, 2015)|
In 2015, Reyes released a video and track titled "Me Canse De Rogarte", the first single of his upcoming album set for fall release. The upcoming project, titled Region*Al*Ternativo, employs genres such as soul, R&B, and ranchero, among others. Produced by Ulises Lozano, it features a number of guest female vocalists.
The track "Paloma Negra" where both Chiquis and Julio perform as a duet is a writing collaboration between T.Mendez, Reyes, U.Lozano and Chiquis. The song is included in her debut album Ahora in 2014 on Sony Music Latin. Reyes also worked on a vocal producer on the entire production. The overall album reached No. 1 on the Billboard Top Latin Albums and No. 1 on the Billboard Regional Mexican Albums charts. He has worked on other songs by Chiquis, including Billboard's Top 40 Latin Airplay song "Esa No Soy Yo" and Billboard's Top 40 Regional Mexican song "Completamente."
Reyes' most recent work as a songwriter includes his collaboration in the English version of the track "Habla Blah Blah" performed by Gloria Trevi in 2014 and his collaboration with producer Humberto Gatica. Directing Gloria's voice for her 2015 released album "El Amor," that same year Reyes worked as a songwriter on the No. 1 iTunes Brasil Hit Song "Están Ahí," which was recorded by Mexican pop star Anahi in 2015 under Reyes' vocal direction. In 2015 Reyes performed as a solo artist at the BMI Latin music showcase in New York City, along with several other shows.
He currently lives in Los Angeles.
Awards and nominations
|2013||Premios Texas||Julio Reyes||Newcomer of the Year||Nominated|
|Year||Release title||Type||Notes, role|
|2014||Pecado Mortal: Historias de Corrido||Feature-length film||Lead role as "Achilles"|
|Year||Album title||Release details|
|Year||Title||Chart peaks||Album||Release details|
|2012||"No Puedo Regresar"||—||—||Single||Self-released (August 2012)|
|"No Inventes"||40||—||No Inventes||Sony Music Latin (June 18, 2012)|
|"Recompense"||—||—||Sony Music Latin (June 18, 2012)|
|2014||"Sin Verguenza"||—||—||Single||Dos Hogares soundtrack|
|2015||"Me Canse De Rogarte"||—||—||Single||Cosmica Records (May 26, 2015)|
|Latin Air||Mex||Latin Digi||Latin Stream|
|2015||"Esa No Soy Yo"||Chiquis Rivera||—||33||16||8||—||—||—||Single||Co-writer|
|"Dímelo Al Revés"||Gloria Trevi||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Inmortal (En Vivo)|
|"Quítame La Ropa"||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- "Julio Reyes". Facebook. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- Mejía, Iván (August 5, 2012). "Julio Reyes presenta el álbum 'No Inventes'". LA Opinion. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- Amador-Miranda, Lucero (July 25, 2013). "Julio Reyes mezcla música mexicana con Big Band". LA Opinion. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Julio Reyes". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Julio Reyes shows acting skills in film". October 9, 2013. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Julio Reyes presenta su nuevo sencillo "Recompensa"". Estrella Hoy. Estrella TV. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Disfruta del videoclip del tema 'Me Cansé de Rogarte', de Julio Reyes". Univision. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Chiquis chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- Aparicio, Sylvia (June 5, 2015). "Julio Reyes Crosses Musical Barriers with New Album and Single". Lol-La. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "BMI Noche Bohemia Event Showcases Regional Mexican Talent". BMI. October 11, 2013. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- Ramos, Zenn (2013). "Julio Reyes fue la sensación de los Premios de la Calle y Premios Texas 2013". La Voz Hispana. Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- Irizarry, Doris (May 30, 2015). "Julio Reyes returns to debut his new single 'Me Cansé de Rogarte'". AXS. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Paloma Negra lyrics". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Ahora". iTunes. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- Mendizabal, Amaya (June 11, 2015). "Jenni Rivera's Daughter Chiquis First Woman to Top Latin Albums Chart Since Late Mom". Billboard. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Romero, Angie (June 2, 2015). "Chiquis Rivera Pays Tribute to Mom Jenni Rivera and Makes Her Own Mark With Debut Album 'Ahora': Track-by-Track Review". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Chiquis chart history: Latin Airplay". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Julio Reyes-Rosas album credits". All Music. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Julio Reyes". Allmusic. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- "Anahi é lider absoluta do iTunes Brasil com novo single". Latin Pop. May 28, 2015. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Estan Ahi". iTunes. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Verano Alternativo to Rock NYC's Bowery Electric & Coincide with 2015 Latin Alternative Music Conference". Latin-Post. July 7, 2015. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Historias de Corrido". MundoFox. March 6, 2014. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
- "Julio Reyes". iTunes. Retrieved 2015-09-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Julio Reyes.|