|Industry||Internet, Retail, Ecommerce, Marketplace|
|Headquarters||Yaba, Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria|
Number of employees
Jumia, is an online marketplace in Africa for electronics, and fashion among others. It has partnered with more than 50,000 local African companies and individuals and is a direct competitor to Kilimall in Kenya and Konga in Nigeria. Started in 2012 in Lagos, the company currently has a presence across 14 African countries.
Jumia was launched in Lagos in 2012 and it expanded to five other countries, Egypt, Morocco, Ivory Coast, Kenya and South Africa. In 2014, the company launched offices in Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Cameroon, Algeria and Tunisia and it was present in 14 African countries in 2018.
Jumia's platforms are Jumia Travel a hotel booking platform, Jumia Food, a food delivery platform  both launched in June 2013. Jumia Deals was launched in April 2015. In 2017, Jumia launched Jumia One, an app that enables customers to pay bills such as airtime. The same year, Jumia launched Jumia Pay, a secure payment for people to shop on all Jumia services. This was followed by the Jumia lending program, an initiative that allows its vendors to access business loans. Jumia would later partner with Amadeus technology, to launch a platform that enables people to book flights.
At the end of 2015 the founders of Jumia appointed Juliet Amannah as the CEO of Jumia Nigeria in order that they could concentrate on global control of the company. In 2015, Jumia generated $234 million in revenue which stands for a 265% growth from 2014. In 2016, Jumia became the continent’s first unicorn being valued over 1 billion USDIn late November 2018, Jumia partnered with cryptocurrency company Telcoin to enhance payment service capabilities throughout their areas of operation.. The same month, Jumia and Carrefour signed a partnership to sell online products in Africa.
Acquisition of Jumia House
In 2012, Jumia Group was launched with the support of Rocket Internet, MTN, and Millicom. In March 2016, Jumia Group secured over €300M of funding from MTN, Rocket Internet, AXA, Goldman Sachs, Orange and CDC.
Awards and recognition
- 2013 Brand Journalists Association of Nigeria Awards (Online Retail Brand of the Year)
- 2013 World Retail Awards
- 2014 Best Online Retail Brand of the Year Award
- 2016: Jumia ranked 82rd in the Top WIRED 100 list
- Jumia is listed among the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Smartest Companies 2017. Ranking 47 on the list, Jumia is the only African company named in MIT's top 50 smartest companies. 
- "Sacha Poignonnec, Co-CEO, Jumia". 2018-11-28.
- "Jumia se rêve en Amazon africain". 2018-04-14.
- "Interview:E-commerce:Jérémy Hodara a créé la première licorne africaine Jumia". 2018-11-11.
- "Interview: Sacha Poignonnec Co-CEO, Jumia". 2018-11-26.
- "Africa's E-Commerce Giant Sets Sights on This Promising Market". 2018-05-07.
- "Rocket Internet's African e-commerce startup Jumia ready for next stage". 2018-01-08.
- "Jumia Food launches online pre-payments in Kenya and Uganda". 2018-08-28.
- "Jumia launches multi-purpose e-commerce app". 2018-03-26.
- "E-commerce : Jumia désormais maître de ses transactions". 2018-07-02.
- "E-commerce specialist Jumia aims to grow lending service". 2018-07-09.
- "Africa paves the way for travel innovation with the launch of a new Travel Marketplace". 2018-10-17.
- text, I. love telling stories using; pictures; details, videos It’s all about the little (2015-12-28). "Jumia Nigeria Appoints Juliet Anammah as new CEO". Techpoint.Africa. Retrieved 2018-12-15.
- "Meet the Startup Building a Market From Scratch to Become Africa's Alibaba". 2018-05-25.
- "Telcoin partners Jumia to enhance service and efficiency". 2018-11-26.
- "Online real estate startup ToLet acquires Jumia House Nigeria to create PropertyPro.Ng – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- "meQasa.com acquires Jumia House Ghana". 2017-11-08. Retrieved 2018-03-30.
- "Rocket Internet's Jumia Becomes First African Company to Win Top World Retail Award". 2013-10-10.
- "Jumia Nigeria wins best online retail brand of the year award". 2014-01-21.
- "The WIRED 100". 2016-08-26.
- "50 Smartest Companies 2017". 2017-01-01.