|Frequency||1490 AM kHz|
|First air date||March 11, 1963|
|Callsign meaning||Quality Duluth-Superior|
|Former callsigns||KAOH (1963–1980)
|Affiliations||NBC Sports Radio|
|Owner||Red River Broadcasting
(Red Rock Radio)
|Sister stations||KQDS-TV, WWAX, KZIO|
KQDS (1490 kHz, "KFAN 1490") is a commercial AM radio station in Duluth, Minnesota. Established in 1963 as KAOH, the station is owned by Red River Broadcasting of Fargo, North Dakota and airs a sports radio format featuring programming from NBC Sports Radio. The studios are located at Grandma's Marketplace, 501 Lake Ave South in Canal Park, Duluth. The transmitter is located off Maryland Avenue in Superior, Wisconsin.
KQDS previously aired a progressive talk radio format with programming from Air America Radio along with The Ed Schultz Show until February 2007, when it began airing an oldies format with Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel from ABC Radio.
On January 5, 2009, KQDS became the Duluth-Superior media market home of the FAN Radio Network, based at KFXN-FM in Minneapolis. On March 2, 2015, its sister station, 92.1 WWAX began carrying FAN Radio Network programming while KQDS became a full-time network affiliate of the NBC Sports Radio Network.
On April 19, 2017, Red Rock Radio announced that it would sell KQDS and WWAX to Twin Ports Radio for $200,000; through a time brokerage agreement, Twin Ports will assume control of the stations on May 1. Twin Ports' owner, Dan Hatfield, also runs Christian radio station WJRF; following the sale, WWAX and KQDS will move their studios to WJRF's facilities, but will retain their sports formats. The terms of the sale require KQDS to change its call letters.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-234. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "Radio Stations". Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel. Archived from the original on July 28, 2008. Retrieved December 19, 2008.
- Venta, Lance (April 19, 2017). "Red Rock Radio Sells Last Two Duluth Stations". RadioInsight. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "APPLICATION FOR CONSENT TO ASSIGNMENT OF BROADCAST STATION CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OR LICENSE". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. April 19, 2017. Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- FAN Radio Network
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KQDS
- Radio-Locator Information on KQDS
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KQDS
- FCC History Cards for KQDS
|This article about a radio station in Minnesota is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|